Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hi. New member

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Julis
Currently reading: City of god - cecelia holland
Interest in HF: I'm interested in so many periods. I tend to prefer nonfiction because so much historical fiction is so hokey, but sometimes I love a good novel.
Favourite HF book: City of God-- which I just finished--a favorite
Preferred HF: I like European history from the 11th - 18th c. I don't like romances. I like political machinations more than love or violence.

Hi. New member

Post by Julis » Fri August 4th, 2017, 1:04 am

Hi everyone. My name is julia diamond and I am happy to have found this forum. I have been reading books on history since I was a kid. I mostly read non-fiction but sometimes I love to get lost in a novel. I DON'T care for romances. I like a book by a writer with talent ( you'd think its obvious, but its not), and historical accuracy and a lot of political machinations! I'm hoping to get recommendations for good books-- off the top of my head I can name some writers I would happily read more of--hilary Mantel, Cecelia Holland, Rose Tremain (Silence and Music--loved it), Nancy Goldstone (I might have the First name wrong). There are lots of others who write fun books that are entertaining but aren't amazing-- which is what I'm looking for. So, I'm getting back to reading the forums. I'm already so excited about some of the postings on this forum. I hope I can contribute too. Julia aka Julis.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Hi. New member

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 4th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Welcome, Julis! Is your favorite book City of God by Cecelia Holland, or the classic by Augustine?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Hi Julis. welcome aboard.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon August 7th, 2017, 11:35 am

Hi Julis, welcome to the forum!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 15th, 2017, 11:52 am

Hi and welcome!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Introduce Yourself”