Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Writing historical fiction in an ancient land

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Mim
Scribbler
Currently reading: Sapiens, A Brief History of Himankind
Interest in HF: I love history and putting together the facts of historical periods with fictional characters.
Favourite HF book: As A Driven Leaf
Preferred HF: Roman Period

Writing historical fiction in an ancient land

Post by Mim » Wed March 30th, 2016, 7:36 am

I'd like to share with the forum what it's like to be inspired by an ancient land. I now live in the Holy Land and was a tour educator here for many years before turning to writing. To become a licensed tour guide one has to complete a course hundreds of hours long, which includes about 80 touring days in a country that is the size of my native New Jersey (I was born in Trenton). The most impressive thing for me was and still is how the landscape to this day reflects descriptions in the Bible and from ancient authors. This makes it easy to picture famous Bible stories and scenes, like the battle of Armageddon, the face-off between David and Goliath, and Jesus' Sermon on the Mount to name only a few. Are there other historical fiction writers out there who are inspired by their own countries?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”