Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Middle aged newbie

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
ktinsley
Interest in HF: Always loved reading this genre, now I have my own to write!
Favourite HF book: Name of the Rose
Preferred HF: Right now, Ireland Reformation/Rebellion; Renaissance; Tudor; Pre-History...

Middle aged newbie

Post by ktinsley » Sat February 20th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Hi! I've jumped in with both feet, and hope to gain some great advice, encouragement, honest dialogue. I typically love this genre, provided it's done well in book or movie format. I guess I've always been interested in history, the human condition, how events impact the lives of people. I'm a non-practicing mental health counselor (on the shelf for now...) and an ASL sign language interpreter, so perhaps storytelling is woven in there somewhere...My first attempt is forming now as a result of my decades of geneology research into my own family and discovering only a few years ago that we were from Ireland. This led to my discovery of some fascinating, and horrific events that my ancestors experienced, (and/or may have contributed to); hence the "story that has to be told". I recently visited Ireland and Scotland for the first time last Fall, and know I have to go back!
Looking forward to meeting folks here, sharing whatever! Time period of interest for me right now is Mid 1500's - Mid 1700's.

Recent books I've read in my research efforts (not exactly Historical Fiction--seems very little in this time period??):

Mary O'Dowd, A History of Women in Ireland 1500-1800 (ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC RESOURCE)
Anne Chambers, Granuaile: Grace O'Malley - Ireland's Pirate Queen
Des Ekin, The Stolen Village - Baltimore and the Barbary Pirates

Google Books:
Mac-Geoghegan (James, abbé) The History of Ireland: ancient and modern, taken from the most authentic records, published at Paris in 1758, and dedicated to the Irish brigade, Volume 3

McGlashan and Gill, 1873 The History of the Warr of Ireland from 1641 to 1653
A British officer of the regiment of Sir John Clottworthy

And many more bits and pieces I've stumbled upon; too numerous to mention now.

Any fellow enthusiasts, please write!!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Middle aged newbie

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat February 20th, 2016, 7:45 pm

welcome, ktinsley. I see your favorite HF book is The Name of the Rose. With Umberto Eco's passing yesterday, we lost one of the great writers.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat February 20th, 2016, 9:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your family history, sounds fascinating.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sat February 20th, 2016, 11:34 pm

Welcome - I'm also an avid genealogist. I would love to write about my ancestors but don't think I have the skill or talent. Good luck!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun February 21st, 2016, 2:06 pm

Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon February 22nd, 2016, 12:14 pm

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here!

Have you read Dublin and Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd? I read both last year as a sort of 'crash course' on Irish history, since I find well-researched historical fiction so much more enjoyable to read (and more memorable) than most non-fiction history books. They are both quite centred on Dublin/Leinster, but I really enjoyed them.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon February 22nd, 2016, 7:45 pm

If you are looking for non-fiction, try:

Moody: Early Modern Ireland, 1534-1691 (Vol 3) for these dates

Anything by Jane Ohlmeyer

Barnard: Cromwellian Ireland

Ellis: Tudor Ireland

Anything by Canny

Books by Micheal O'Siochru either solo books or collaborations.

I hope that helps.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sun February 28th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Hello and welcome! I was going to mention Edward Rutherford's books, but I see Lisa has beaten me to it.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”