Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello from sunny Barcelona

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!

For HF, what European country is most interesting to read about?

Poll ended at Fri July 17th, 2015, 7:57 am

Spain
20%
France
20%
Great Britain
60%
Italy
No votes

Total votes: 5

Barcelona
Scribbler

Hello from sunny Barcelona

Post by Barcelona » Mon May 18th, 2015, 7:53 am

Hi everyone. I’m new.
I’ve been poking around Historicalfictiononline which I came across by happenstance: Dynamic, lively, fun and really interesting. A great place to be.
I’m a US born architect and designer (Columbia U; RISD) who’s been living and working out of Barcelona for the last 2 decades. That’s my day job. Although I’m pretty successful at it and I also enjoy teaching at the university here, my real passion is writing. So 6 years ago I began working on a historical novel placed – you guessed it – in Barcelona. Barcelona is vibrant, Mediterranean city with a great past and a wonderful, old, medieval city sector which is where the novel’s action takes place.
Writing about Barcelona seemed like a natural to me, but sniffing around HFL I feel like the odd man out. Are UK members mostly interested in historicals placed in England? US members, in the Far West? (Are there any US members?). Anyone out there interested in Spain? (Well… er… what with demands of independence, really Barcelona, the heart of Catalonia?)
I chose to research a period that was close to us but notably different and 1906 is one such time: near the end of an age of innocence just before we were jolted into modern times by World War One. I poured my heart and soul into it, writing on train trips and plane flights or at five in the morning before heading to work. I tried to get the setting just right, with the right combination of a description + who-done-it plot + love thwarted + a pinch of erotic content. For those that have a bit of time, I’d be grateful for your comments (or comments on the first 50 pages of free reading…) It’s recently been uploaded on Amazon, and can be found by typing in “The Barcelona Journal Murders” or ISBN 978-84-944073-0-7
The novel is a 100% DIY venture, except for professional assistance with the proofreading and editing. I even designed the cover, so do tell me what you think about that too.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon May 18th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Hi and welcome!

Personally I find Britain and France most interesting, because I'm from Scotland and my partner is French so I've done a lot of travelling there too, know the language etc. So they are just more familiar countries to me and I can picture the locations better.

However, that's just what I find "most" interesting - if I saw a novel set in Spain, Italy or any other country and it looked like a good read, I'd give it a chance. Even if self-published by the way - for any book I will look at reviews and read the first few pages as a preview first.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon May 18th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Hi and welcome. I do tend to read more HF set in GB, but it's the stories, historical setting, characters that draw my attention more than the the geographical setting. If that makes sense... :p :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon May 18th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Hi Barcelona - what a wonderful city to live and work in, I went there a few years ago and loved it. I agree that the Gothic/mediaeval quarter is the best part, although the beach was good too!

I voted for GB in the poll as it's the area I'm most familiar with.

Good luck with your book.
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon May 18th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Well, I write Spain (or rather, Granada, Castile, and the Crown of Aragon) so obviously I read those lands. (That's the castle in Tortosa in the background on my avatar). But I don't read much near-contemporary fiction. I go for the renaissance and earlier.
But that's just me. Barcelona is a beautiful city, and we're glad to have you on the forum.

Barcelona
Scribbler

Hello from BCN - Bis

Post by Barcelona » Tue May 19th, 2015, 10:48 am

Gee everyone… I’m just so amazed at the number and quality of responses to my “Hello from BCN thread”. Now I don’t feel so lonely on the edge of South-European civilization here! LadyB: Thanks for informing me of how you select your reading material. It’s reassuring to meet people that read other things than the top ten best-sellers. Misfit: I don’t currently have a cat, but I did in the past. I think they’re excellent readers…Well, perhaps more like excellent listeners… Or in any case, great companions… Hi Madeleine. And thank you Emily for your welcome!

Barcelona
Scribbler

Hello from BCN - bis

Post by Barcelona » Tue May 19th, 2015, 10:50 am

Gee everyone… I’m just so amazed at the number and quality of responses to my “Hello from BCN thread”. Now I don’t feel so lonely on the edge of South-European civilization here! LadyB: Thanks for informing me of how you select your reading material. It’s reassuring to meet people that read other things than the top ten best-sellers. Misfit: I don’t currently have a cat, but I did in the past. I think they’re excellent readers…Well, perhaps more like excellent listeners… Or in any case, great companions… Hi Madeleine. And thank you Emily for your welcome! :)

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Barcelona the City

Post by donroc » Tue May 19th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Welcome Barcelona and enjoy. I loved the city and its people during my time there. I enjoy writing about characters first and let their country of origin come second.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu May 21st, 2015, 10:03 pm

Welcome to the threads, Barcelona! Haven't been to Barcelona for several years, but loved my visit. We also have a number of folks who read and write in Roman and other ancient times. Looking forward to chatting with you.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Introduce Yourself”