Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Life during WWII

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
klang
Scribbler

Life during WWII

Post by klang » Wed February 11th, 2015, 2:44 am

I am especially interested in novels about the WW II era, especially about daily life, relationships, and survival in Germany, Britain, US, etc. The reading is endless in this category. Katie

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed February 11th, 2015, 7:51 am

Many years ago I really enjoyed Winds of War and War and Rememberance by Herman Wouk. Some others i have enjoyed are:

Night of Flames by Douglas W Jacobson
THe Kommandants Girl by Pam Jenoff

Loved the movie Hope and Glory set in Wartime Britain.

I tend to favour WWI stories lately though.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed February 11th, 2015, 10:20 am

Of course there is the recent bestselling and acclaimed book All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed February 11th, 2015, 10:24 am

[quote=""Susan""]Of course there is the recent bestselling and acclaimed book All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.[/quote]

Oh yes! I loved that! Could totally see that being made into a movie.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Wed February 11th, 2015, 2:11 pm

I enjoyed Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay - set in Paris during the German invasion. Quite an unusual and stunning tale.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed February 11th, 2015, 3:00 pm

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak takes place in Germany during the war.

One forgotten little gem I discovered a few years ago was Call It Treason by George Howe. It's fiction, but influenced by the author's war experiences, about a German POW who volunteers to go behind enemy lines to spy on German positions for the Americans in the waning days of the war. Along the way, the German POW encounters ordinary Germans just trying to survive the disintegrating conditions brought on by the war. I was inspired to read it after watching the old film, Decision before Dawn, which was based on the book. I was really surprised to find a Kindle available for this book.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed February 11th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Although the balance of the book is about cold-war era Iron Curtain countries, the first third of God's Smuggler deals with growing up during occupied Holland. Andrew saw himself as a daring undercover agent, putting rationed sugar in the German gas tanks, setting off firecrackers to startle the sentries (nearly got bullet-riddled for that prank.) And an inside view of Borneo's war of independence right after WWII. A gripping read.

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Wed February 11th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Hi Klang,
WW1 is one of my focused interests, but my readings have often included WWII.
One novel I very much enjoyed is "Suite Française" by Irène Némirovsky. Suite Française consists of two novellas ("Storm In June" and "Dolce") portraying life in France from June 4, 1940, as German forces prepare to invade Paris, through July 1, 1941, when some of Hitler's occupying troops leave France to join the assault on the Soviet Union. Per Wikipedia: "Suite Française is the title of a planned sequence of five novels by Irène Némirovsky, a French writer of Ukrainian Jewish origin. In July 1942, having just completed the first two of the series, Némirovsky was arrested as a Jew and detained at Pithiviers and then Auschwitz, where she died. The notebook containing the two novels was preserved by her daughters but not examined until 1998. They were published in a single volume entitled Suite française in 2004....It was possibly the earliest work of literary fiction about World War II."

Other (historical) fictions to consider:
I agree with Amanda re: Herman Wouk's duo, also his Caine Mutiny
Helen Dunmore's The Seige. About the 1941 siege of Leningrad.
Jeff Shaara's trilogy including: The Rising Tide", The Steel Wave, No Less Than Victory (content includes military activity as well as family drama)
Evelyn Waugh's The Sword of Honour trilogy including: Men at Arms, Officers and Gentlemen & Unconditional Surrender. Based on Waugh's own experiences as an army officer with England.
Ivan Doig's The Eleventh Man (a different view of the experience of WWII. Doig's writing is memorable, I think).

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed February 11th, 2015, 5:02 pm

I have been eyeing up The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley to read for a while.

klang
Scribbler

WWII in Novels

Post by klang » Wed February 11th, 2015, 5:28 pm

It was great to read about the WWII novels everyone has enjoyed. The Book Thief is one of my all-time favorites. And All the Light We Can Not See is on my must read list.

Not yet mentioned, is City of Women by David R. Gillham. I highly recommend it.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”