Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello from Germany

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Rissa
Scribbler

Hello from Germany

Post by Rissa » Thu May 12th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this nice forum yesterday, so I decided to register and check it out.

I's a bit awkward to only write about me, but hey, seems like I have to go through this ;)

About me:
My name is Astrid, but online I normaly go by Rissa. I'm a German university student going to become a teacher at the Grundschule (six to ten year old pupils). I love to read (otherwise I won't be here), but I also like to do some handcrafting, make music and enjoy the nature while geocaching.

About reading:
I learned to read when I was about five years old. The first historical fiction I got my hands on has been Judith Merkle-Riley's "Die Stimme" ("A Vision of Light") when I was twelve, followed by various other novels that my older sister handed me.
I've always been an avid reader and I've tried several genres, but in the end I got stuck with historical fiction.

I've registered here because I hope to get some information on and suggestions for some really good novels that have not been and might never be translated into German - there just have to be some (like Sharon Kay Penman whose name I've never heard before yesterday but who seems to write very good books), and of course to discuss some of my favorite books with others who just love historical fiction.

So far I've read several English novels, but never historical fiction (unless classics like Oliver Twist and Jane Eyre count as such). My English lacks a lot of skill, so in case you notice that I do the same mistakes over and over again I'd appreciate if you could tell me. I also might use some wrong words or use them in the wrong context which might lead to misunderstandings (it has happened before), so please bear in mind that English is just my second language before shouting at me :o

I think that's all for now. If you have any questions please ask! And now I'll go check the other areas for interesting pieces of information ;)

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu May 12th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Hello and welcome! Your English is very good.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Thu May 12th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Hello Rissa and welcome. There are some very knowledgeable (and friendly)people here, so you will get loads of advice on good HF books to read.

Please do not apologise for your English - it is excellent! I speak French fluently, but I know from experience that it is one thing to speak a foreign language and another thing entirely to write in it!! :)

Rissa
Scribbler

Post by Rissa » Thu May 12th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu May 12th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Rissa, your excellent English is superior to my long forgotten high school and college Hochdeutch, which deteriorated when I was stationed in Kaiserslautern in the Pflazland in the 1950s.

Welcome and enjoy.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu May 12th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Welcome, Rissa! I hope you enjoy it here. Your English is excellent, unlike my German even though I learnt it at school!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Rissa
Scribbler

Post by Rissa » Thu May 12th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Thank you for the welcome and the comments about my English, donroc and Vanessa! I just have the feeling that I should be a little more careful with grammar and correct spelling at a literature forum than at a gaming forum where half of the members are ESL.

@ donroc: Wow, the 1950s! I can imagine that there's not much stuck after such a long time. Did you ever come back to visit the country?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu May 12th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Hi Rissa welcome aboard. I'd not have noticed anything about your English except that you mentioned it. After what text messaging has done to the English language here in the US... :eek:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu May 12th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Welcome, Rissa! Glad to have you here. I wish at times I had retained more of my college German; I would love to read Rebecca Gable's books--the ones I'm interested in haven't been translated into English.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu May 12th, 2011, 5:15 pm

And a warm welcome to the forum from me!
You can be sure you will find loads of recommendations here.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”