Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

65 years ago. A Rescue at Hiroshima?

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
e.West
Scribbler

65 years ago. A Rescue at Hiroshima?

Post by e.West » Sat July 17th, 2010, 5:09 am

Ladies, Gents,

Happy to be here, and I look forward to talking historical fiction. I just completed writing, illustrating, formatting(including writing the HTML, OPF, PRC, and NCX files), authoring the website based on the books,
http://www.nevadanavy.com

and publishing two new titles for Kindle:

Rescue at Hiroshima, which is available now at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003URRNY6

The jacket blurb, if it had one, would be: Sixty-five years ago, August 6, 1945, a B-29 bomber named after the pilot’s mother, Enola Gay, dropped the world’s first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. That is well-known. What is less well-known is that 3 days prior to that last day of the non-nuclear age of mankind, a submarine captain was asked if he would rescue 44 schoolchildren and one anti-war ex-sergeant of the Imperial Japanese Army; now a teacher. Rescue them from the Honkawa National School. And the Honkawa National School was 400 meters southwest of the Enola Gay’s aiming point. He had only three days to get his submarine, the Mako, to Hiroshima, and it would take three days to get there.

Lieutenant Shoney O'Brien, the pilot of Mako's Goshawk heliplane would have to insert Lieutenant Jesse Rivera's Marines at the Honkawa School. She couldn't know how her life would later depend on him...

and the companion book:

Escape from Hiroshima, which is available now at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003URRNZA

The jacket blurb, if it also had one, would be: The Imperial Japanese Navy---the IJN---thinks you set off the world's first atomic bomb, and they are determined to get you. And you are in a damaged submarine in the Inland Sea, the IJN's own personal lake, shallow and surrounded by islands with only two ways out, both patrolled by Japanese and Allied aircraft who would happily sink you.
This is the jam that Mako and all her crew face one hour into mankind's atomic age. And Captain De Gama has to escape the determined vengeance of the IJN.
But for Lieutenant Shoney O'Brien and the crew of her Goshawk heliplane, stranded on a beach just four miles from ground zero, time is running out, and Lieutenant Jesse Rivera is nowhere to be found….

And I can say this: whether I have one reader or a zillion, I had a marvelous time with it all.

Got an idle minute or two? Mosey on over to the website: [url]http://www.nevadanavy.com;[/url] Who knew Nevada had a navy anyway?

Thanks for reading. I look forward to contributing to the Historical Fiction Online.

e.West

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat July 17th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Hi e.West. Nice to see a little more WWII on here. Let me know when your books are available in print. My Dad is a big military history buff.
Last edited by LoveHistory on Sat July 17th, 2010, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e.West
Scribbler

Thanks for your note.

Post by e.West » Wed July 21st, 2010, 11:57 pm

LoveHistory-

Thanks for the note. Be happy to oblige, as I have a few more WWII yarns, as well as pre-WWII, namely Guernica, where the Luftwaffe was doing a Beta test of the Blitz and Picasso got some red meat---literally, I'm afraid---plus cash from the Republican government for his painting.

But there you are. I hope your Dad can buy from CreateSpace.

--e.West

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 4:25 am

Rescure at Hiroshima sounds like a nail biter - one that I'd like to read! It sounds like this is based on a true story?

Welcome, btw. What are you reading now? And do you have a favorite WWII HF?

e.West
Scribbler

Get an app and a sample of any Kindle book for free

Post by e.West » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 3:14 pm

Ash,

Thanks for the welcome! You can read a sample of Rescue at Hiroshima for free---as you can for any Kindle book---by just downloading a sample from the product page. But be warned, samples are like Nachos; hard to stop at just one. And if you don't have a Kindle, then you can download---also for free--an e-reader for your computer. Here's a link to do that:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1000493771
There are installation instructions for installing it on whatever computer you may have. Once you do that, you can download a free sample of any book in the Kindle bookstore, and I encourage you and all our other friends on HF online to do so; Amazon has reported that e-book sales outnumber print books so it would be fun to delve into ebook world if you haven't already done so.
To download a free sample of any book, you'll go to a product page...mine for instance is:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003URRNY6
And then on the right hand side, you'll see a sidebar which says, "Try it Free". Well, enough of that.
Rescue at Hiroshima is not based on a true story---would that it were---but all the surrounding facts are real enough.
Finally, I'm currently reading a real tome---not HF at all---by H.P. Wilmott:The Last Century of Sea Power. H.P. a rather brilliant historian, and makes some interesting connections between the naval engagements of past times to some current engagements of the US. But it is also great grist for those of us who write HF. And as to the favorite WWII HF? More mundane, but still good after all these years: Run Silent Run Deep, by Edward L. Beach. Also to confess that I have great amounts of fun with some non-WWII HF from Bernard Cornwell with his Sharpe series of books. Good Stuff. How about you?

--e.West

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 3:19 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, good luck with the book.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 5:23 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your book. Can you tell us a little more about yourself?
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

e.West
Scribbler

Post by e.West » Sun July 25th, 2010, 2:32 am

@Madeleine: Thanks for the welcome. One of the characters in my two books is named 'Madeline'--not the same spelling, and I don't suppose you've ever served aboard the Nevada Navy submarine Mako, so you are probably not the same person. But she is very interesting, your namesake.

@fljustice: Thanks for the best wishes. As to me, I am a runaway technologist. I have designed spacecraft components that currently orbit at geosynchronous --_TDRSS spacecraft---and more components that are now buried within the gas giant Jupiter with the remains of the Galileo spacecraft; and little more infamously, with Space Shuttle Challenger, now scattered across the South Atlantic. Then converting Boeing 727s to 2-pilot aircraft and on and on. Now, besides writing HF, I am working on a program to provide heavy jet tankers for aerial firefighting worldwide. And married to the same chick-- Pi---for years. So now I am also taking lessons in discipline from our 1-year old grandson.

-e.West

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun July 25th, 2010, 10:25 am

[quote=""e.West""]@Madeleine: Thanks for the welcome. One of the characters in my two books is named 'Madeline'--not the same spelling, and I don't suppose you've ever served aboard the Nevada Navy submarine Mako, so you are probably not the same person. But she is very interesting, your namesake.
[/quote]

Unfortunately the only submarine I've ever been on was the one at Disneyworld, and I had a severe attack of claustrophobia, so decided it wasn't a career for me! Thank you for the compliment though. :)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun July 25th, 2010, 2:16 pm

So now I am also taking lessons in discipline from our 1-year old grandson.

Hee, good luck with that! Tho you probably realized that the job of raising your own child was more difficult than anything you did in your extraordinary professional life. Now, you get to spoil the grandchild!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”