Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello! Any more writers out there?

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
deborah swift
Scribbler

Hello! Any more writers out there?

Post by deborah swift » Thu March 18th, 2010, 5:09 pm

I am a writer and would love to make contact with other writers of historical fiction as well as fans of the genre. At the moment I am writing about the seventeenth century. I tend to be interested in ordinary people rather than Kings and Queens, and love poking about old houses looking for clues and inspirations for characters and scenes.
Anyone got a favourite period oject that has inspired a scene?

You can find out a bit about me from my blog and website
www.deborahswift.co.uk
www.deborahswift.blogspot.com

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Greetings Deborah

Post by parthianbow » Thu March 18th, 2010, 8:57 pm

and welcome to HFO, the best place to be for all lovers of HF! Many congratulations also on your impending publications. It's a great feat to have achieved. Good luck with your sales, and career.

You'll find that there are quite a few authors on here (myself included), as well as many unpublished ones, as well as a host of passionate readers of HF. Most of us authors are here as readers, rather than authors, if you know what I mean. It's a great place to spend some time browsing, when taking an illicit break from writing ;)

Enjoy!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu March 18th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Hi, Deborah, glad to have you here! I write novels set in later medieval England (14th and 15th century), but I rather prefer royal characters and those connected to royalty. Maybe that's because they have a mystique for Americans like myself!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Celia Hayes
Reader

Post by Celia Hayes » Thu March 18th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Hi, Deborah, and welcome! I am a reader, but a scribbler also, since I do historical novels set on the 19th century American frontier. I wouldn't write about a king or a queen if you paid me, and I am completely tired of the Tudors. (ow! OW! Stop hitting me!)
... although, come to think of it, I did have a couple of characters who were minor German nobility, although one was a moron, and the other gave up his title anyway.
And then there was the Russian princess, but she was only a princess by marriage, she actually had been an opera singer with a very scandalous past.

As part my research, I noted some items in a pioneer museum, which I made into the possessions of the fictional family that I wrote about - and when I came back to do a talk at that museum, they very kindly pulled all of those things from the exhibit, and put them on display for my talk - which was really neat, because many of the people who came to the talk had read the Trilogy and were quite thrilled to recognize them!

Anyway, welcome to HFO -
Last edited by Celia Hayes on Thu March 18th, 2010, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celia Hayes
www.celiahayes.com

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Thu March 18th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Hi, Deborah, and welcome! I just finished a trilogy retelling of the Tristan and Isolde legend, and now I'm working on something completely different in Victorian London. Looking forward to hearing more about your books.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

deborah swift
Scribbler

Post by deborah swift » Thu March 18th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Oh, great to meet you all! What an interesting selection of writers. I'm going to go and check out your websites and books now. Don't always know what makes me choose a book, but mostly it is not the particular period, but something about the idea of the book that interests me, or the cover, or the ring of the title. So I'll go and have a browse and pick up ideas for my next read. I'm currently reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - loved the idea of fragments of lives being trapped between the covers of a book.
One of my favourite objects is an old-fashioned paintbox - that makes an appearance in my book - everything so well-crafted - lovely porcelain pots for paint and ink, bone-handled brushes (well used so now nearly bald) and a fruit-wood box to keep them in. There's something about handling objects from the past that sets the imagination going...

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri March 19th, 2010, 12:18 am

Hmm--if you have a book out, shouldn't it be READERS you want to get to know?
Just wondering.
Hi anyway.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri March 19th, 2010, 3:44 am

Hi Deborah,
Welcome! Your books sound fascinating; I love the picture of the view from your home on your site; what a gorgeous area.

Lots of marvelous stuff here, and fun people. You'll soon feel right at home
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Fri March 19th, 2010, 7:21 am

Hi Deborah and welcome! Your books sound really interesting and original - love the idea of the story based around the orchid. Good luck with it when it is released. I went to the Lake District once and it is stunning, though I live in Scotland at the moment so it is quite similar. Very inspiring for a writer.
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper & "The Christmas Egg" by Mary Kelly
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 19th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Hi Deborah and welcome, good luck with the writing. Just about to check out your website.
Currently reading "The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper & "The Christmas Egg" by Mary Kelly

Return to “Introduce Yourself”