Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salvete

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Salvete

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Wed October 7th, 2009, 12:19 am

Another history geek here, this time from Germany. :)

I got hooked when my parents took me to a museum when I was five years old. Reading the novels of Rosemary Sutcliff, Barbara Bartos-Höppner and Sir Walter Scott, plus the Illiad, Song of the Niblungs and other stories that had knights, Greeks, Romans, Scots, or cossacks, and adventure sealed my fate for good. A few years later I got really ambitious and wrote War and Peace fanfiction without even knowing what fanfiction was. :D

The love for history and historical fiction never left me, and I spend a lot of time hunting castles, abbeys and museums (wish I had more money, lol). You can find photos and some essays on my blog: http://lostfort.blogspot.com

I didn't write for a long time though, until that bug bit me again as well. I'm currently working on a trilogy (or rather, loosely connected standalones) set in Imperial Rome and her northern provinces. The first, A Land Unconquered, features the Varus battle and Germanicus' campaigns, the second, Eagle of the Sea, will lead to Caledonia and the Battle of Mons Graupius, and the third, Song of the North Wind, takes place during the time of Hadrian. I'm more a writer of military historical fiction (a bit like Bernard Cornwell) and there will be quite some battle scenes, but also a family feud that connects the three books.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed October 7th, 2009, 12:23 am

Hey, Gabriele! I know you! Good to have you over here.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Wed October 7th, 2009, 12:30 am

Hi Susan, I should actually have titled that thread: Oops, I forgot I had registered here. :)

There was a unfortunate cooincidence with a nasty virus that forced me to reinstall Windows XP, and that bug ate my favourites, too. Since I had not been active on the site, I sorta forgot to try and find the link again until Michelle Moran's interview on Sharon Penman's blog reminded me.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed October 7th, 2009, 12:50 am

Hi Gabriele! Nice to see you here too.

anne whitfield
Reader

Post by anne whitfield » Wed October 7th, 2009, 1:07 am

Welcome to the forum, Gabriele!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 7th, 2009, 1:27 am

Hi Gabriele, I follow your blog as well. Love the pics.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed October 7th, 2009, 2:29 am

Welcome Gabriele!!! I'm so glad you decided to join us :] Your website is fantastic!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed October 7th, 2009, 2:46 am

Great blog, Gabriele. Welcome back.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed October 7th, 2009, 6:20 am

Salve, Gabriele. How cool to see you here! I really enjpy visiting the Lost Fort and reading your comments on Carla's blog.

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Wed October 7th, 2009, 7:21 am

Welcome, Gabriele, I replied to you on the other thread about choosing an HF period. Your books sound great, sure you'll enjoy it here a lot. Bizarrely, my third book set at the end of the Roman period in Scotland is titled "Song of the North" in the US. Great minds think alike! One thing you cannot avoid anywhere around Hadrian's Wall is the wind...
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”