Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Another new member

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sun August 9th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Welcome, Jonathan!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sun August 9th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Hello and welcome!
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon August 10th, 2009, 11:01 am

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

Jonathan
Scribbler

Durandal

Post by Jonathan » Tue August 11th, 2009, 5:31 am

Annis & Keny - thanks for the Lamb recommendation, I have found a copy of "Durandal" at the Dallas Library where I work. I am discovering we seem to have an interesting collection of Adventure writers in the Humanities section.

One of my favorite novels (and movie), not exactly HF, is "The Prisoner of Zenda". I have found it spawned a mini-genre called Ruritanian Romances. Following up on this, I was surprised to discover a book in this genre at the library called "The Mad King" by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Entertaining, if not particularly complex, but I was impressed we even had it.

If there are other pulp adventure writers out there that are not well remembered, let me know, I'm curious to see what I can dig up at the library.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Great new reads

Post by parthianbow » Tue August 11th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Welcome Jonathan - this is a great forum to be part of. I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks also for the mention of the Capt. Alatriste novels - they sound just up my street. Pirates/Latin American/Spanish swashbuckling were favourites of mine as a boy.
As for pulp fantasy (not really HF, I know) - have you read Nifft the Lean? It's a collection of long short stories about a thief in a fantasy world and a great read.

Keny - thanks for the info re Robert E. Howard's Crusader books - I had no idea he wrote things like that. More for my TBR list.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

anne whitfield
Reader

Post by anne whitfield » Tue August 11th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Welcome Jonathon!

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Wed August 12th, 2009, 4:20 am

Hell Jonathan, welcome to our wonderful corner of the world

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed August 12th, 2009, 8:33 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Welcome Jonathan - this is a great forum to be part of. I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks also for the mention of the Capt. Alatriste novels - they sound just up my street. Pirates/Latin American/Spanish swashbuckling were favourites of mine as a boy.
As for pulp fantasy (not really HF, I know) - have you read Nifft the Lean? It's a collection of long short stories about a thief in a fantasy world and a great read.

Keny - thanks for the info re Robert E. Howard's Crusader books - I had no idea he wrote things like that. More for my TBR list.[/quote]

parthianbow, I highly recommend the collection entitled "lord of Samarkand" edited by Rusty Burke. It collects all of the crusader tales together. its probably the book ive reread the most over the last 2 years.

Robert E Howard once wrote that he would love to devote the rest of his life to rewriting hisstory in the guise of fiction. its too bad there wasnt such a big market back then.

ill find my old howard thread and bump it up
Last edited by Kveto from Prague on Wed August 12th, 2009, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed August 12th, 2009, 8:36 pm

[quote=""Jonathan""]Annis & Keny - thanks for the Lamb recommendation, I have found a copy of "Durandal" at the Dallas Library where I work. I am discovering we seem to have an interesting collection of Adventure writers in the Humanities section.

One of my favorite novels (and movie), not exactly HF, is "The Prisoner of Zenda". I have found it spawned a mini-genre called Ruritanian Romances. Following up on this, I was surprised to discover a book in this genre at the library called "The Mad King" by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Entertaining, if not particularly complex, but I was impressed we even had it.

If there are other pulp adventure writers out there that are not well remembered, let me know, I'm curious to see what I can dig up at the library.[/quote]

Zenda is fun. have you read the sequel "rupert of Hetzenau"?

"the mad king" was ERBs attempt to write a "ruritanian romance". it wasnt too good. ERB is always hit or miss with me.

Keny from Prague, Bohemia (perhaps the real Ruritania :-)

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Thu August 13th, 2009, 7:57 am

[quote=""Jonathan""]Hello. I am another new member and I am hoping to pick up ideas for further reading in the HF genre, as well as get involved in discussions about the genre.
I lean towards the “swashbuckler” HF – authors such as Sabatini, Cornwell, Shellabarger, Robert E. Howard. I am looking forward to one of my favorites – Perez-Reverte – coming out in English with the latest in the Alatriste series.

I have just come across the name of Emilio Salgari, a 19th century Italian author who wrote the Sandokar and Black Corsair series. Has anyone read these?[/quote]

Sabatini is my very favourite HF author. Great to see another fan.
Sandokar is ok, but rather stilted, or maybe that is just my memory playing up. The Italian films were fairly popular once upon a time in Israel, there was even a cartoon series. IIRC Sabatini was a fan of Salgari.
Last edited by Volgadon on Thu August 13th, 2009, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”