Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do I belong here?

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri July 31st, 2009, 3:12 am

Think they say the population is around 10.000 and indeed I do find it islolated. Closest proper town is Darwin and that is about 332 km away, a nice 3 hour drive. Where about are you located? :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Fri July 31st, 2009, 7:38 am

I worked on a gold mine near Laverton, Western Australia, and the nearest town was Kalgoorlie. I had to drive there to buy parts for the mining machinery and it was a six-hour drive there and six hours back. Through desert. Without a single petrol station, shop, or anything human to divert me. All the mine workers wanted me to stock up at KFC, so I spent the trip back with a slowly cooling bucket of fried chicken for company and that was all. :) But living somewhere like that is an experience I guess you'll never forget or repeat. The sunsets must be nice???
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri July 31st, 2009, 12:06 pm

[quote=""Veronica""]Think they say the population is around 10.000 and indeed I do find it islolated. Closest proper town is Darwin and that is about 332 km away, a nice 3 hour drive. Where about are you located? :) [/quote]

I am in Melbourne.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Sat August 1st, 2009, 11:21 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]I am in Melbourne.[/quote]

Ah yes that is a nice place. Got family in Shepp and for some reason every Australian I've spoken to so far knows about Shepp. WOnder why caus ethere isn't much there.. :)

People are still wishing me welcome, such a nice forum I ended up in! :D

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Sat August 1st, 2009, 11:26 am

[quote=""juleswatson""]I worked on a gold mine near Laverton, Western Australia, and the nearest town was Kalgoorlie. I had to drive there to buy parts for the mining machinery and it was a six-hour drive there and six hours back. Through desert. Without a single petrol station, shop, or anything human to divert me. All the mine workers wanted me to stock up at KFC, so I spent the trip back with a slowly cooling bucket of fried chicken for company and that was all. :) But living somewhere like that is an experience I guess you'll never forget or repeat. The sunsets must be nice???[/quote]

wow, and I thought I lived remote! lol. Funny that with KFC, when I'm in Darwin I have to stop at McDonalds even though I don't really fancy it! Well we just Coffe club in town which is the biggest event of the year! lol
Yes the sunsets are not bad, still love the ones up in Darwin though.

Discovered a few new book son this forum written by "our" authors... First time I heard of most of them so will give them a go when I come over copies. It was actualy a brilliant way to find new books! :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”