Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do I belong here?

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Veronica
Avid Reader

Do I belong here?

Post by Veronica » Wed July 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Hi everyone!
Bumped into this site when I was a bit bored and see what happened! I joined. :) But after reading the forum I thought that I might not belong here, seem to be a lot of authors in here and and people that are more than just bookworms? Cause I am truly a bookworm!
I read so much as a kid and teenager that I eventually couldn't read anymore. It took me 10 years and a move to a small town in a different country to pick up a book again. The one I picked up was "the other Boleyn girl" and after that I was hooked on book sagain! And perhaps even better, I discovered the joy of historical fiction! :D

Well anyway, just in case I might belong here I keep checking this forum out. So far it really seems like a small and friendly community. :) By the way, is this a UK site?

Thanks for your time! :p

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed July 29th, 2009, 10:10 am

Welcome to the board Veronica. I'm just an average person, no specialized area of interest or expertise, not a writer. I just like finding good books to read. I've even taken breaks in my reading over the years and left many stones unturned. This is a good place to discuss books, and folks here are very nice. Enjoy the board!

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Wed July 29th, 2009, 10:12 am

Welcome Veronica!

You definitely belong here! Many members are avid readers of HF just like you and there are budding authors (like me!) as well as established writers. There are also a few Aussies!

You'll get lots of advice on the best HF reads out there, but the one you mentioned (TOBG) has had what might be politely called mixed reviews!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed July 29th, 2009, 10:29 am

Hi Veronica

Hello and welcome - hope you enjoy it here!

I'm not an author either and just enjoy reading, reading, reading! I loved The Other Boleyn Girl, too.

There seem to be members from many places around the globe which makes it a very interesting site. Have a browse round - I'm sure you will find plenty of book recommendations to tempt you. :D Hope you have some large bookshelves!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed July 29th, 2009, 10:38 am

Hi Veronica, there are plenty of average Joe readers here, and from all over the world. Having authors posting is just a big plus, they have a lot to offer from their side of the fence.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed July 29th, 2009, 10:45 am

We are a mixture of a lot of people. We have authors, writers, readers. And everyone gets along nicely. :)

You're in the right place. Jump into any conversation you wan.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed July 29th, 2009, 11:59 am

Veronica, it's for everyone! I may be an author, but that's incidental. I am a keen reader of historical (and all sorts) of fiction and I'm here to discuss books and reading, not to do the author thing unless specifically asked. I really value talking to other readers of HF and that was the reason I joined this forum - not for promo or the writing aspect but for the reading and other readers. So welcome aboard!
We're an international bunch. I'm from the UK, but we hale from all around the world - it's great! :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed July 29th, 2009, 12:01 pm

As long as you love to read historical fiction you are in the right place!

Welcome to the boards!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Wed July 29th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Welcome, Veronica! You definitely belong here! I'm an author, but really just here as a bookworm, too! :)

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed July 29th, 2009, 12:38 pm

Hello and welcome. Yes, we have some lovely authors here, but most of us are just like you, avid readers. Glad to have you on board.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”