Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Another newbie

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Fri July 10th, 2009, 3:58 pm

That is but one of the many reasons why I love Calvin and Hobbes.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri July 10th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Hi Tinney, welcome here !

TinneyH
Scribbler

Good reaction!

Post by TinneyH » Fri July 10th, 2009, 9:00 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Welcome, Tinney!

I was reading your tagline, and wondered why John Calvin, in a presumably imaginary conversation with Thomas Hobbes, was imagining possessing a flame-thrower. And, for that matter, what a Protestant theologian was doing jabbering away in the afterlife with Thomas "nasty, brutish and short" Hobbes in the first place. Then I got it... *bangs head against wall, gently so as not to cause more damage*

Good luck with the rounds of agents/publishers, etc.[/quote]

Now I know I've found a good bunch of people to hang out with! Where else would that be the first thing that came to mind? Maybe there's a story in that scenario somewhere...
Tinney

Calvin, explaining his "fictional autobiography" to Hobbes: "It's the story of my life, but with a lot of things completely made up." Hobbes: "Why would you make up your own life?" Calvin: "Because in my book I have a flame thrower!"

Doug Bradshaw
Scribbler

Post by Doug Bradshaw » Sat July 11th, 2009, 2:11 am

Tinney, what were you doing out here?

TinneyH
Scribbler

Los Alamos

Post by TinneyH » Sat July 11th, 2009, 1:24 pm

Doug, my dad worked at the lab when I was a kid. I was there from ages 10-16. which was more years ago than I like to think about. My folks met at the lab in Oak Ridge, TN, and before and after Los Alamos, it was Argonne, in IL, and finally, Germantown, MD. You've probably seen that pattern a lot. I loved Los Alamos - used to climb around in the canyons, hang out at the Santa Fe Opera, pester my folks to take me to Fiesta, etc. In fact, my husband and I might make a trip back this fall - I do want him to see the place. Is it still beautiful? (she said wistfully...)
Tinney

Calvin, explaining his "fictional autobiography" to Hobbes: "It's the story of my life, but with a lot of things completely made up." Hobbes: "Why would you make up your own life?" Calvin: "Because in my book I have a flame thrower!"

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sat July 11th, 2009, 2:23 pm

Welcome Tinney! My son learned to read with Calvin and Hobbes. I think that's why he's always had such an interesting 'take' on the world.

Doug Bradshaw
Scribbler

Post by Doug Bradshaw » Sat July 18th, 2009, 3:30 am

It's still beautiful. The fire changed the mountains a lot. There are fewer trees on some of the ridges, but you can see the shape of the mountains better. The air is still amazing.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”