Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New member, new author

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
theredsoldier
Scribbler

New member, new author

Post by theredsoldier » Wed July 1st, 2009, 3:20 am

Just joined the forum a few days ago, and I'm a new author who has just released his first book, so I'm looking to promote my book, however, I'm ALSO looking to find out more about what people are wanting out of this category of books, and also how I can improve myself. Don't worry, I'm really not the used car salesman type, so you won't find me slamming my book into every thread I frequent - I find that in poor taste.

I look forward to talking with everyone, and also hearing from a few members here on what they want out of a book, and if I'm lucky, a review of my book.

Hope to hear from you soon~
Last edited by theredsoldier on Wed July 1st, 2009, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed July 1st, 2009, 4:01 am

Welcome to the group! I'm sure you will get lots of info here!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed July 1st, 2009, 9:56 am

Welcome on board. Sounds like you are in the right place!

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed July 1st, 2009, 10:57 am

Hello and welcome.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed July 1st, 2009, 11:08 am

Welcome to the boards!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed July 1st, 2009, 11:13 am

Welcome and enjoy.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Wed July 1st, 2009, 11:44 am

Hi and welcome. Look forward to hearing about the book!
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed July 1st, 2009, 12:03 pm

Welcome! I lived for a while in the former Stalingrad, so anything on it is bound to be of interest. Could you go into a little more detail on your book?

theredsoldier
Scribbler

Post by theredsoldier » Wed July 1st, 2009, 1:06 pm

[quote=""Volgadon""]Welcome! I lived for a while in the former Stalingrad, so anything on it is bound to be of interest. Could you go into a little more detail on your book?[/quote]

Well, here's what the back of the book says;

"On June 22, 1942 Adolf Hitler and the German High Command send over four and a half million men into the Soviet Union, and on August 23rd, 1942, the first Germans of the sixth army reach the city of Stalingrad.

They become bogged down for months in the rubble of the city, stymied as much by the harsh winter as the blood and sacrifice of the Russian people. Armies clash amongst the few terrified civilians who survived the initial German onslaught. Inside this frozen hell of bombed out buildings and rubble strewn streets, soldiers fight and die with the ferocity of animals. Only a trickle of food and ammunition, a flood of fragile bodies and a resolute determination to resist can safeguard the rest of the nation from the Nazi jackboot.

Adrift in this sea of chaos in the brutal winter of 1942, Private Ivan Petrov of the second squad, 115th rifle company, fights to save the lives of loved ones, friends, comrades… and perhaps if he‘s lucky, himself. Greatly outnumbered, under strength, and woefully unsupplied, Ivan is tasked to beat back the Nazi threat or die trying. In a world that could come to a crashing end any second, these Red soldiers fight with everything they have left: Cunning, Bravery, and Determination.

And as it turns out, that just might be enough . . . "

I did two years of research and interviews on this, and another two writing and editing it. It's not only ym first novel on a pubisher, but it's my first novel period! I used real maps, real troop movements, real actions... eveything is as accurate as I could make it without alterting history for my charectors.

So far we've done respectably well, and the support and fedback has been outstanding. Last month we donated 20 copies to the soldiers in Afghanistan, and hopefully I can donate another 20 to the soldiers in Iraq soon.
WWII Eastern Front Action Novel
http://www.theredsoldier.com
Stalingrad, as only the Russian soldier could know... available now

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed July 1st, 2009, 1:29 pm

Welcome and good luck with your novel!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”