Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hello!

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri February 6th, 2009, 2:14 pm

[quote=""MissMarplestein""] but my favorite gothic/romance novelist would have to be Victoria Holt. I read her book, Mistress of Melleyn, when I was in 10th grade (many moons ago) and became a diehard fan. Mistress holds a special place in my heart...[/quote]
Welcome to the HFO board, MissM. I'm like that with Holt's On the Night of the Seventh Moon. I read it over every few years. It's like a gothic romance fairy tale combo.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Fri February 6th, 2009, 2:29 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]Welcome to the HFO board, MissM. I'm like that with Holt's On the Night of the Seventh Moon. I read it over every few years. It's like a gothic romance fairy tale combo.[/quote]

Yes, I've read Night of the Seventh Moon as well...in fact, I think I've read most of her books, and have most in my library. I've read some of her as Philippa Carr, but I don't think I've ever read any of her as Jean Plaidy - I may just have to put them on my list.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Fri February 6th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Hello :)

I've only been here for a few weeks but it's fascinating and there are lots of book reviews to read.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Fri February 6th, 2009, 7:39 pm

[quote=""Libby""]Hello :)

I've only been here for a few weeks but it's fascinating and there are lots of book reviews to read.[/quote]

Indeed, I see that...I'm gonna get in even more trouble for buying more books! lol

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sat February 7th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Welcome. :)

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sat February 7th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Welcome Miss M!!!! I really enjoy Victoria Holt as well -- although it's been a while!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:07 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]Welcome Miss M!!!! I really enjoy Victoria Holt as well -- although it's been a while![/quote]

Yes, it's been a long while since I read one of her books...she was the first gothic novelist I read and therefore she holds a special place in my heart. I will have to try reading some of her other books under Philippa Carr or Jean Plaidy. And thank you for the welcome!

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun February 8th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Carr's The Lion Triumphant is a good starter novel. It's a sequel to The Miracle at St. Bruno's but can be read as a stand alone. These are the first two in a longer series.

TLT is set in Elizabethan England, but the action concentrates in southern coastal England and the Canary Islands. No Tudor court stuff in this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Triumphant-P ... 0449232336
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon February 9th, 2009, 6:06 pm

A belated welcome from me!

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Thu February 19th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Belated from me, too, Miss M. I gather from another post that's the name of your cat??? Cute. I've been missing for a week and am catching up on all the hellos. Hello!
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”