Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A Weird Story

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
CelticBlood64
Currently reading: Just finished Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason
Interest in HF: My brother had a book with a striking cover about the battle of Agincourt. At that stage I couldn't read, however, just the visual image grabbed me. From then on, the imagery, manners, violence, wilder society in the natural sense, the heraldry, savagery, of the middle ages, has fascinated me
Favourite HF book: Two, Norah Lofts, The Suffolk trilogy, and, Time of the Unicorn, Barbara Jeffris
Preferred HF: Celtic history, any period.

A Weird Story

Post by CelticBlood64 » Wed January 30th, 2019, 10:11 am

Hi fellow fictionistas.

The story of clan MacKay always spoke to me. When I read something about clan MacKay it leapt off the page at me and meant something to me.
Why? At that stage I had no idea but I followed my fascination and learned all I could about them. To my mind I had no genetic link to this famous Scottish highland clan.

Up until I was about 25 I thought my grandmother was Scottish. That wonderful lady celebrated Scottish culture and heroism, embraced the Highland myth, told stories of dramatic clashes between valiant warriors, facing overwhelming odds and often dying as a result.

As I have said, particularly clan MacKay spoke to me. I understood my grandma was associated with clans, Murray, and Blair. I thought, my grandmother was the natural daughter of a man named Blair, a Scotsman. Despite where my ancestry lay, I wrote about clan MacKay. After I wrote my first Scottish novel, Celtic Blood: a novel of clan MacKay my mother told me grandmother wasn't Scottish at all but that she was illegitimate and her father was a Norwegian. She had fallen pregnant in Scotland to a Norwegian sailor. She had Scottish parents with Irish ancestry, with the surname was Riley. A name I learnt is associated with southern Scotland.

I wrote a 2nd clan MacKay novel:

Subsequently, I had a DNA ancestry test which revealed I had clan MacKay ancestry, my grandmother's father was in fact a Mackay!

At the beginning of my first novel I wrote a poem, which goes,

Celtic Blood
I felt the wind and heard the rain and felt an ancient hand.
The spirit of my ancestor drove the pen and touched the page
and enabled me to visualise that which had occurred.
He called out to me from the past with the voice of long ago.

And I think he did!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”