Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 1:36 pm

Ma'aleh Hachamisha (its been 35 years so my memory might be off on the spelling. Its a few miles away from Jerusalem, near the 1967 border with Jordan)

<edit> Wow - is the Kibbutz gone? I just googled out of curiousity and the only thing I found was a resort where the Kibbutz was! WTF?
Last edited by Ash on Mon February 23rd, 2009, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 2:51 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Ma'aleh Hachamisha (its been 35 years so my memory might be off on the spelling. Its a few miles away from Jerusalem, near the 1967 border with Jordan)

<edit> Wow - is the Kibbutz gone? I just googled out of curiousity and the only thing I found was a resort where the Kibbutz was! WTF?[/quote]

There is a very nice guesthouse, well hotel of sorts, there. I've stayed there. I was under the impression it was still a working kibbutz of sorts.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 3:53 pm

Still there. Spelling is fine! The kibutz system however has been dead for some years.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 11:53 pm

I remember the resort, but it wasn't that big back then. I got to work there, coz they needed people who were willing to get up at 4 in the morning. What, get out of the peach orchards? Yes, sign me up. I was done at noon and spent my afternoons exploring Jerusalem.

Yeah, I haven't heard much about kibbutzim for a while, so I wondered what happened to it. What do you think was the reason for its demise? Personally I loved it, but I was a very idealistic teenager and just couldn't imagine such a utopia not working. I do have many wonderful memories of the place and the people. There was a family from Michigan who had moved there several years before who took me under their wing. They certainly were a big influence on how I looked at the world. I was in touch with them for a very long time.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue February 24th, 2009, 8:02 am

Kibbutzniks got very cynical and worldly. Thats the short answer.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 25th, 2009, 11:43 am

More like what films have I still to see....just seen in the TV listings that ITV3 is screening "The Lion in Winter" this Saturday...yayy, they're also showing the Olivier versin of "Rebecca" which I haven't seen for ages, will try to record both if poss.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri February 27th, 2009, 5:43 am

Just finished watching "The Visitor" Richard Jenkins, I was so impressed....
A must see! ....

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Fri February 27th, 2009, 6:21 pm

The Blaumilch Canal, an old Israeli comedy about a man who escapes from an insane asylum, steals a jackhammer and starts digging up the main street of Tel-Aviv. It is assumed by the police that he is from the city and they help him. As a result of internal power struggles, the city decides to send in everything they've got to work on the roads and they end up building a canal. A bit like the Emperor's New Clothes.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri February 27th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Wives and Daughters Wonderful! I highly recommend it. Of course I love Gaskell.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat February 28th, 2009, 2:10 am

I was very disappointed that the lead in Visitor did not receive an Oscar. His performance in that was just brillant.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”