Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 7:29 pm

We saw Slumdog Millionaire yesterday, it was fantastic!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 10:25 pm

"Lost in Austen"- an entertaining piece of fluff. Premise - Elizabeth Bennet changes places with Amanda, a modern day Austen fan, who, thrown into the world of "Pride & Prejudice", makes many frantic, doomed efforts to keep the story on track, though events keep conspiring to derail it.
Elliot Cowan does a great job of impersonating Mr Darcy as portrayed by Colin Firth in the iconic BBC TV series of "Pride & Prejudice".

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 7:23 am

Australia - I enjoyed this, even though I did take some parts with a grain (or more!) of salt. But I adore Hugh Jackman, and any opportunity to see him on the big screen without his shirt on must be taken... :D I now owe the SLOC 2 "bangs-and-crashes" movies (I made him take me to The Duchess as well)

Also Bolt-3D, which both the SLOC & I enjoyed, but we preferred the penguins in Madagascar 2. We both thought that the poeple who made it didn't take that much advantage of the 3D-ness - we could have easily watched it in 2D, and not noticed the difference.

Melisende
Reader

Post by Melisende » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 8:43 am

"The Bank Job" and "Transporter 3" - both featuring Jason Stratham
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

Maggie
Reader

Post by Maggie » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:32 pm

Goodnight Mister Tom. :(

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 1:06 pm

[quote=""ejays17""] But I adore Hugh Jackman, and any opportunity to see him on the big screen without his shirt on must be taken...

but we preferred the penguins in Madagascar 2. [/quote]
Agreed on the Hugh Jackman opinion! And I really loved the penguins, too, although my first favorite is King Julian, the lemur.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 7:08 pm

Two recent films that did very little for me -- Shopgirl with Steve Martin and Syriana with George Clooney.

AuntiePam
Reader

Post by AuntiePam » Sun January 4th, 2009, 3:10 am

Finished watching The Forsyte Saga -- 26 episodes and an hour or so of special features in less than a week. No wonder my dreams were filled with hairpieces and cognac.

When the producer was asked why the series wasn't filmed in color, his answer was "We started too soon." I wonder what he meant. Did the production company not have the technology at the time? If he'd waited six months, would it have been in color? It would have been gorgeous.

Anyway, it's a remarkable achievement. The story never lagged and the actors were all wonderful. The features included a panel discussion -- "Irene v. Soames" -- with some critics and journalists sparring over those two characters and who behaved most badly.

Today I watched a Coen brothers film, Blood Simple. Love the Coen brothers.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun January 4th, 2009, 3:14 am

I am watch Stardust...again...today.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun January 4th, 2009, 3:15 am

We watched "Juno" tonight and enjoyed it very much!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”