Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Wed February 6th, 2013, 12:29 am

Little Dorrit (with Martha Jones)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce & The Poison Bed by E C Fremantle (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Fri February 8th, 2013, 9:13 am

I went to see The Hobbit last night with my daughter. We both enjoyed it - there are some good humorous moments. Martin Freeman makes a great hobbit! He has such a pixie-like face. I recognised the actor who plays Theorin, but couldn't for the life of me remember who he was! Duh!! Richard Armitage! It must've been the long hair which confused me.
Last edited by Vanessa on Fri February 8th, 2013, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Fri February 8th, 2013, 9:16 am

That's a good movie. And it's Thorin, actually. He has majestic hair. :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Fri February 8th, 2013, 6:09 pm

Glengarry Glen Ross. What a cast! Now I understand the reference Alec Baldwin is making when he does pledge breaks for our local NPR station "ABP - Always Be Pledging."
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Tue February 19th, 2013, 5:31 pm

The French-language, Oscar-nominated Amour about an aging couple. Relentlessly sad and depressing. I kept hoping for a humorous moment, but got pigeons instead.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Thu February 21st, 2013, 1:44 am

I suppose that shouldn't be surprising - but the trailer for "Amour" has such a funny gag. I have a hard time with relentlessly sad films.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Thu February 21st, 2013, 1:49 am

Several films lately -- The ending of Downton Abbey (sob!), Love's Kitchen -- a very bad foodie film, and 1911, a Chinese film about the 1911 Xianbei Rebellion that toppled the Qing dynasty.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce & The Poison Bed by E C Fremantle (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu February 21st, 2013, 10:02 am

"Nefret" wrote:That's a good movie. And it's Thorin, actually. He has majestic hair. :D

Yes, I think I may have been getting a little mixed up with Game of Thrones.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Fri February 22nd, 2013, 9:37 pm

This morning while working from home (I have half days on Fridays), I put on "Sleep, My Love" - a Claudette Colbert film with her being gaslighted by her husband, Don Ameche. Enjoyed it; I do like her, and I really don't think I've ever seen Ameche in a work from his youth. He gave a very good performance, insinuating a certain amount of insincerity and smarm but balancing it quite finely with sham concern that reads better than most screen villains.

More and more vintage films and TV shows are becoming available via Netflix streaming, and I am gobbling them up. I love being able to pull up productions from the 20s, 30s, and 40s like this.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat February 23rd, 2013, 3:14 am

I have now watched through episode 8 of Downton Abbey. This weekend we will work on finishing...I can't remember the title, but it's about Ernie Davis, the first African American to win the Heisman Trophy. We also have Ted but I've heard it's quite raunchy so we aren't watching it while the kids are home from school, or at least not while they're awake.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”