Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun March 6th, 2011, 7:47 am

CG -- The book Never Let Me Go just broke my heart when I read it. I want to see the film, but wonder if I'm going to like it or not.

last night I finally had a chance to watch All That Jazz without any breaks. Very intense, very adult, and good for anyone who is interested in Broadway. Review is here if anyone is interested: http://www.epinions.com/review/All_That ... 3063772804

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun March 6th, 2011, 11:29 am

I thought the book Never Let Me Go was excellent - I have a lovely signed first edition of it in a slipcase. I'd like to see the film but I'm sure I will find it upsetting. It's a scary idea which is not beyond the bounds of possibility.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 6th, 2011, 2:58 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I thought the book Never Let Me Go was excellent - I have a lovely signed first edition of it in a slipcase. I'd like to see the film but I'm sure I will find it upsetting. It's a scary idea which is not beyond the bounds of possibility.[/quote]

I really didn't like that book, tho it was ages ago that I read it and don't remember why. It wasn't the topic - I read enough sci fi that it was old hat to me. But there was something about the writing that bothered me. In the discussion online about the book, it did seem like one of those books that people either loved or hated, very little middle ground.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun March 6th, 2011, 4:45 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]Watched Never Let Me Go with Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan. Truly, one of the saddest and most depressing movies I've seen in quite a while. Beautifully acted and written, but, oy, you need a cocktail afterwards. Or three.[/quote]

Read the book a couple of years ago and saw the movie last fall. Both broke my heart. Frequently the movie fails to live up to the original material in intent, but not the case here. Very good adaptation.

Lost in Austen came in Netflix and I watched it straight through last night. Very funny, great cast. Although, I was hoping the heroine would end up with Wickham-much cuter and more interesting than Darcy!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun March 6th, 2011, 6:11 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]
last night I finally had a chance to watch All That Jazz without any breaks. Very intense, very adult, and good for anyone who is interested in Broadway. Review is here if anyone is interested: http://www.epinions.com/review/All_That ... 3063772804[/quote]

When I found out that movie was finally out on DVD I got it from Netflix and well it wasn't what I was expecting, but it was good for what it was, just not my cuppa!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun March 6th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Animal Kingdom -- it was such a fun flim -- not.

It wasn't a bad film just not a film to see after a hard day at work. But niice to see Guy Pearce as an Aussie again.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon March 7th, 2011, 4:09 am

[quote=""fljustice""]
Lost in Austen came in Netflix and I watched it straight through last night. Very funny, great cast. Although, I was hoping the heroine would end up with Wickham-much cuter and more interesting than Darcy![/quote]

I loved Lost in Austen -- it was such a creative and fun take on P&P. And Alex Kingston made the perfect Mrs. Bennet. Now I realize I need to watch it again.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon March 7th, 2011, 4:16 am

[quote=""Telynor""]

last night I finally had a chance to watch All That Jazz without any breaks. Very intense, very adult, and good for anyone who is interested in Broadway. Review is here if anyone is interested: http://www.epinions.com/review/All_That ... 3063772804[/quote]

My sister and I saw the Broadway production when it came through here - oh how wonderful! I think I appreciated the movie Chicago more for having seen that.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon March 7th, 2011, 4:08 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]I loved Lost in Austen -- it was such a creative and fun take on P&P. And Alex Kingston made the perfect Mrs. Bennet. Now I realize I need to watch it again.[/quote]

I really liked how they deepened several of the characters, especially Mrs. Bennet. Her desperation really came through. Having failed to produce the male heir that would have saved her family, and completely abandoned by her husband, she bucked up and did what needed to be done. She might not have been the smartest women, but she did her best to make sure her daughters would not have to live in poverty and disgrace. Given her flighty characterization in past movies, this was a refreshing change. Still flighty, but with a steely purpose!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 7th, 2011, 11:27 pm

I didn't agree with their portrayal of Mr. Bennet at all. Made him much less involved than he was in the book. I know that is a popular view of him, but it's not really borne out in the pages.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”