Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue January 4th, 2011, 1:08 am

[quote=""wendy""]Just saw the new "True Grit" - which was good, but I'm still not sure why they had to remake the original classic. How can you improve on "Big Leggy"?!![/quote]

They remade the classic to be closer to the book. And given who directed the movie, it promised to be something rather different from John Wayne's flick. Which, for me anyway, was a good thing.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue January 4th, 2011, 2:40 pm

[quote=""Ash""]They remade the classic to be closer to the book. And given who directed the movie, it promised to be something rather different from John Wayne's flick. Which, for me anyway, was a good thing.[/quote]

I once read an academic paper on John Wayne's movies and the author attributed his success to the fact that every film features a sassy girl who is thrown over the knee and spanked! I can only say - this remake sticks to the same winning formula . . . .
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue January 4th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Saw The Illusionist on Sunday--the 2010 animated movie from a 1950's script by Jaques Tati--not the 2006 live action film with Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti. A beautiful film, animated by the same folks who brought us The Triplets of Belleville. It's set in the 1950's, about a down and out aging magician who takes on a teenage Scottish girl who believes his magic. Like Tati's movies, there's little dialog. This one has English, French and nonsense, but the viewer understands perfectly what is going on without a single word. Lovely! I'd recommend watchingMon Oncle (available from Netflix) first. This movie is a loving homage to Jaques Tati. Mon Oncle even makes a cameo appearance as the Illusionist stumbles into a theater showing the live action movie.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue January 4th, 2011, 7:03 pm

[quote=""wendy""]I once read an academic paper on John Wayne's movies and the author attributed his success to the fact that every film features a sassy girl who is thrown over the knee and spanked! [/quote]

The only JW film I know of that has that is McClintock, which is the only JW film I've seen that I liked. Granted I haven't seen them all.

John Wayne was essentially a character that the actor (Marion M. Morrison) made a career of playing. His roles all had different names, but for the most part you saw and heard John Wayne over and above the character each time. Think I read somewhere that even the voice was a part of the persona.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed January 5th, 2011, 2:29 pm

I saw Gulliver's Travels new year's eve.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed January 5th, 2011, 4:45 pm

What did you think of it, Rowan?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Thu January 6th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Unstoppable. Fun, efficient, no-nonsense action movie.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu January 6th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Splendor in the Grass. Depressing.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri January 7th, 2011, 12:20 am

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Swedish film --great physical casting and acting for Salander -- I did not mind the cutting of some very interesting and well written scenes that did not drive the story as in the novel.

Highly recommended.
Last edited by donroc on Fri January 7th, 2011, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Fri January 7th, 2011, 8:17 pm

The Alphabet Killer. I watched it for Eliza Dushku but was surprised how good it actually was.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”