Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Tue December 28th, 2010, 12:41 am

[quote=""Ash""](ok, aside from military and technical uses, what does SLOC stand for?)[/quote]

It's from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer, the main character refers to her future husband as a Solid Lump of Comfort at one point, and a site I belong to co-opted it to refer to one's partner. I forget that not a lot of people would know this, and I try to remember not to use it around-and-about, but this one slipped through.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Tue December 28th, 2010, 12:44 am

[quote=""EC2""]Ejays17 - I'd like to see The King's Speech at some point - sounds like a good film.

For my sins I have just got around to watching Ridley Scott murder Robin Hood. OMG it's stupendously silly. Okay, I know it's fiction, I know it's a story, but historical events are included but so badly warped out of true that they become a mockery. A massive raspberry from me. Total crud and an insult to the likes of men such as William Marshal. That last landing craft scene had me in hysterics but despairing at the same time. :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: [/quote]

Oh yes, very much recommend The King's Speech, do see it!

I laughed myself silly at the latest Robin Hood, and also worried SLOC by muttering at points "EC2 won't like this at all".
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue December 28th, 2010, 7:03 pm

[quote=""EC2""]
For my sins I have just got around to watching Ridley Scott murder Robin Hood. OMG it's stupendously silly. Okay, I know it's fiction, I know it's a story, but historical events are included but so badly warped out of true that they become a mockery. A massive raspberry from me. Total crud and an insult to the likes of men such as William Marshal. That last landing craft scene had me in hysterics but despairing at the same time. :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: [/quote]

Heather at The Maiden's Court did a great post comparing screenshots from RH and Saving Private Ryan - looks like they copied the landing sequence from Private Ryan almost frame for frame. Lazy filmmaking as well as poor history.
ejays17 wrote:It's from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer, the main character refers to her future husband as a Solid Lump of Comfort at one point, and a site I belong to co-opted it to refer to one's partner. I forget that not a lot of people would know this, and I try to remember not to use it around-and-about, but this one slipped through.
Heheh, ejays, I am a big Chalet fan too and I know just what you mean - still roll about laughing over that one!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue December 28th, 2010, 7:20 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Heather at The Maiden's Court did a great post comparing screenshots from RH and Saving Private Ryan - looks like they copied the landing sequence from Private Ryan almost frame for frame. Lazy filmmaking as well as poor history.

[/quote]

Ooh, thanks very much. I will go and look at that after dinner.

Actually the worst scene of all was where Prince John is in bed with Isabelle of Angouleme - an older version and touted as a French princess. Eleanor of Aquitaine walks in on them in the midst of their frolics. John laughing says something to the effect of no mother should see her son in that condition. Unfazed, Eleanor wants to talk politics and so John plucks a (pubic :eek :) hair from his tongue and then gets out of bed and faces his mother in the nuddy with his hands on his hips. Golly, Alan Savage eat your heart out!!!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue December 28th, 2010, 8:17 pm

[quote=""EC2""]
Actually the worst scene of all was where Prince John is in bed with Isabelle of Angouleme - an older version and touted as a French princess. Eleanor of Aquitaine walks in on them in the midst of their frolics. John laughing says something to the effect of no mother should see her son in that condition. Unfazed, Eleanor wants to talk politics and so John plucks a (pubic :eek :) hair from his tongue and then gets out of bed and faces his mother in the nuddy with his hands on his hips. Golly, Alan Savage eat your heart out!!![/quote]

:eek: :( :confused: :eek:

The script apparently went through several writers, have to wonder if Alan Savage was one of them! What did they give William Marshal to do? Nothing like the above I hope!!!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue December 28th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Tron Legacy.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue December 28th, 2010, 8:35 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""] :eek: :( :confused: :eek:

The script apparently went through several writers, have to wonder if Alan Savage was one of them! What did they give William Marshal to do? Nothing like the above I hope!!![/quote]

No, and he was quite well painted, but they still got aspects of his story line totally wrong and they made him look about 10 years older than he would actually have been in life - but in that case he'd have been on par with Russell Crowe, who was looking well worn.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Tue December 28th, 2010, 9:34 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Actually the worst scene of all was where Prince John is in bed with Isabelle of Angouleme - an older version and touted as a French princess. Eleanor of Aquitaine walks in on them in the midst of their frolics. John laughing says something to the effect of no mother should see her son in that condition. Unfazed, Eleanor wants to talk politics and so John plucks a (pubic :eek :) hair from his tongue and then gets out of bed and faces his mother in the nuddy with his hands on his hips. Golly, Alan Savage eat your heart out!!![/quote]

At first I thought it was Alais with John because they said French princess. Took me some time to figure that out :p

I actually liked William Marshal but didn't like what they did with Richard.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue December 28th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Wasn't it amazing how Robin Hood was somehow involved with the signing of the Magna Carta? Ha.

I did enjoy seeing Isabel, Countess of Gloucester and first wife of John, in the film though. She doesn't usually get any screen/book time.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed December 29th, 2010, 1:39 am

Saw The Black Swan today. Not really my kind of film (psychological thriller), but I loved the ballet background (used to get standing room or student tickets every Sunday at Lincoln Center) and the acting was excellent.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”