Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 30th, 2010, 7:18 pm

[quote=""JoshuaKaitlyn""]I think West was one of the series saving graces, that and the scene when Charles I attempted to get someone's attention at his trial and the top of his cane fell off and rolled across the floor and he was forced to pick it up himself. But it all felt a bit rushed, more episodes with longer scenes. I read somewhere that originally it was supposed to have been twelve episodes long but got chopped to the four that were made.[/quote]

Yes I felt it was too short, too - not sure about 12 episodes but it could certainly have gone to at least 6 or 7, it did feel very rushed, especially towards the end. Oh well, perhaps they only got a budget for 4 episodes.

Thanks for the link, SGM; he could have another career as a TV presenter I think! ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Mon August 30th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Just got back from seeing "The Expendables" It was just quality all the way through, loved every moment of it. It was just like being back in the 80s!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed September 1st, 2010, 7:46 pm

Under the Greenwood Tree. I thought it was very good.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 10:51 pm

Just finished "Crazy Heart"....not much for country music but Jeff Bridges was brilliant and I really liked the bitter/sweet ending......

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Post by JoshuaKaitlyn » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 9:45 pm

'Black Death'. Wasn't too sure what was going on at one point! Was it a supernatural horror or was there a must simpler reason why the plague hadn't reached the village? :)
Alea Jacta Est

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun September 5th, 2010, 2:32 am

ITV's 2007 Mansfield Park. Enjoyable in its own way, but a lousy adaptation.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun September 5th, 2010, 8:47 am

TV not film but I am catching up on recorded BBC 4's Writers in their Own Words: British Novelists and at the moment reliving the 80s. I do think BBC 4 comes up with some good stuff.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun September 5th, 2010, 5:43 pm

"Dave", I really enjoy this movie and have seen it many times.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun September 12th, 2010, 2:09 pm

My local PBS station was running Charade last night, with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant -- wonderful comedy-drama about a stolen fortune. It's such a pity that films like that almost never get made any more!

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun September 12th, 2010, 3:28 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]My local PBS station was running Charade last night, with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant -- wonderful comedy-drama about a stolen fortune. It's such a pity that films like that almost never get made any more![/quote]

I love that film. I read somewhere that Cary Grant felt he was too old to play the sexual aggressor the original script called for so they changed it and gave that to Audrey. It worked. Generally I love anything with Cary Grant. I think his comic timing was wonderful.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”