Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Tue March 30th, 2010, 11:41 am

[quote=""chuck""]Re watched "Tom Jones"....One of the best ever......BTW I watched "Sharpe's Challenge"..Decent BBC effort....WTS...I would love to see a Sharpe novel go the big screen....Sean Bean is terrific as Sharpe.... At times it was a bit stagy and stiff...impressive sets and costumes.....Maybe the lack of scale in some of the scenes or the the lack of character development...I wonder what BC thinks? Not sure if he was part of the production...Next "Sharpe's Peril"....maybe it's Sharpie being in India and the lack of background in the complicated culture, social and religious mores?.... I admit I'm not up on India History.....I have a slanted Colonial British/Kipling take on India.....[/quote]

If you go to the "Sharpe" page on the PBS website, there's an interesting interview with Bernard Cornwell where he talks a bit about it. Here's the link.

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue March 30th, 2010, 12:16 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]I would say it's on the high side. Not slasher movie level, certainly, and not even gratuitous, like severed heads or other great stuff :rolleyes: :rolleyes: in other films, or some of the stuff in Dexter. What got to me, however, were a couple of scenes of sexual violence. That bit may actually have been lifted from book #2, I'm trying to remember. [/quote]
Well there was sexual violence in the first book & it was pretty horrible - I don't see how you could do it as a movie without including it...depends how its done I guess.

[quote=""Chatterbox""]There are bits of the plot that kind of vanish, like Lisbeth's relationship with her guardian & mentor, or Mikael's affair with his publisher, which is implied but not developed as part of the plot. You don't get the full detail here. It made me want to go back and re-read the whole book.[/quote]
Yeah I thought they might do that - if they included all the complexities of relationships in the book (as well as all the different members of the Vanger family - I could never keep up with them all!) it would overwhelm the movie.

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Incidentally, if there are any Sherlock Holmes fans out there, I rented a rather interesting DVD from Netflex, Dr Bell and Mr Doyle. Doyle is a young Arthur Conan Doyle, at medical school in Edinburgh; Dr. Bell is obviously a Holmes prototype, and there's a reasonably good murder mystery in it. Ian Richardson as Dr. Bell.[/quote]
I remember this! It was on TV in the UK a few years ago under the title Murder Rooms. It was pretty good, with lots of interesting, gritty stuff from Doyle's life - his alchoholic/mad father for example.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue March 30th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Currently watching HBO's "The Pacific"....Another terrific HBO series....Right up there with "Band of Brothers"

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed March 31st, 2010, 3:13 am

I watched Food Inc. tonight and man did it open my eyes. I knew what slaughter houses, chicken houses and feed lots were like (I did grow up on a working ranch and helped dad some at the local feed lot gathering sick cattle) but it brought to light not just the slaughter but the raising and mass production of animals that should not and could not be massed produced while being healthy. I agree with the one family that most americans have to choose between eating healthy and making it, when veggies and protiens cost more then McDonalds and Burger King we got a problem and I cannot believe that as a people we continue to support it. I for one will make an honest effort to change that for my kids and their kids and so forth. Ok I'm done ranting about it.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed March 31st, 2010, 5:38 am

Finished the first volume of Yi San on dvd. Great costumes, very involved plot, lots about Korea in the eighteenth century -- but rather odd seeing firearms and swordplay at the same time. I'm really looking forward to the next volume of the series.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed March 31st, 2010, 8:01 pm

The Great Debaters. Brilliant and very moving!

chuck
Bibliophile

Sharpe

Post by chuck » Wed March 31st, 2010, 10:19 pm

[quote=""Anna Elliott""]If you go to the "Sharpe" page on the PBS website, there's an interesting interview with Bernard Cornwell where he talks a bit about it. Here's the link.[/quote]

Thanks Anna for the link....The Sharpe Series is a bit predictable.....but I like the consistency in Sharpe and his common sense approach in solving situations.......

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Thu April 1st, 2010, 12:08 pm

[quote=""dee""]Went to watch "How to train you Dragon" in 3D a few days ago. LOVED IT. Wish I could use kids as an excuse, but I'm just an animation sucker.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with loving animation! Hubby & I went and saw this last night, and we weren't the only ones there without small encumbrances :D in tow.

The animation was good, the script was very funny, and we both enjoyed it very much. It's probably my favourite film so far this year (even-stevens with Alice in Wonderland). I'm going to have to look for the boks to see how it compares.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu April 1st, 2010, 6:37 pm

Went to see "A Single Man" last night, well-made and well-acted but a bit arty and pretentious - not bad but not brilliant.

Watched "Road to Perdition" again this afternoon - saw it in the cinema and, like the above, it's well-acted and beautifully filmed, but all those shots of Hanks and Son driving up and down that road, and the endless tracking shots of people walking along, just slow things down so much. Paul Newman was excellent though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri April 2nd, 2010, 3:41 pm

Last night I watched a terrific sleeper film...."You Kill Me".....A bit dark, intelligent, witty and very charming comedy...Ben Kinsley, plays a alcoholic AAA hit man, trying straighten out his life and Tea Leoni a woman with boundary issues and with a tart tongue....Kingsley and Leoni are magical on the big screen...Worth it just to watch these two terrific actors work a terrific script...And BTW also has some very talented characters in support...Check it Out.....

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”