Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Tue April 14th, 2009, 5:37 am

[quote=""Leyland""]Watched In Bruges - Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell were absolutely brilliant. I haven't seen many films like that one - loved it though. And Bruges - does it look as fairy tale as in this movie? I just ordered the soundtrack - the piano melodies are fantastic.[/quote]

I haven't seen the film Leyland, but I've been in Bruges more than once and it really is very beautiful.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 14th, 2009, 10:57 am

Yup, Bruges really is that pretty!

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue April 14th, 2009, 9:57 pm

[quote=""Carine""]I haven't seen the film Leyland, but I've been in Bruges more than once and it really is very beautiful.[/quote]

Yep, Bruges is lovely, and In Bruges is extremely funny. Who knew that Ralph Fiennes could do comedy? Who knew that Colin Farrell could act at all. :eek:

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Tue April 14th, 2009, 10:32 pm

I apologise if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I just wasted almost two hours watching "King Arthur". It's a sort of cheap cross between 'Gladiator' and 'Braveheart', with Kyra Knightley doing a lot of baring her teeth and growling, and fighting like a martial arts expert. Lots of fighting...lots of people shouting, "Aaaaghhh!" as they start another battle...and not much else. Very disappointing and a very gloomy film - it's always dark and snowing, with a few rotting corpses thrown in for extra nastiness.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue April 14th, 2009, 11:00 pm

[quote=""Christina""]I apologise if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I just wasted almost two hours watching "King Arthur". It's a sort of cheap cross between 'Gladiator' and 'Braveheart', with Kyra Knightley doing a lot of baring her teeth and growling, and fighting like a martial arts expert. Lots of fighting...lots of people shouting, "Aaaaghhh!" as they start another battle...and not much else. Very disappointing and a very gloomy film - it's always dark and snowing, with a few rotting corpses thrown in for extra nastiness.[/quote]

Yeah, but at least it has Clive Owen looking downright sexy! :D

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

chuck
Bibliophile

In Bruges

Post by chuck » Wed April 15th, 2009, 12:10 am

[quote=""Leyland""]Watched In Bruges - Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell were absolutely brilliant. I haven't seen many films like that one - loved it though. And Bruges - does it look as fairy tale as in this movie? I just ordered the soundtrack - the piano melodies are fantastic.[/quote]

I agree....Brilliant film.....Farrell really surprised me with his acting....Gleeson and Finnes steal the film....Bruges....Yeah.,..I could hang out there......The soundtrack is outstanding....Check out Gleeson in "The General" and Bob Hoskins is terrific in the "The Long Good Friday"....I love the Brits and their take on crime film; very little Special Effects....usually dark, realistic and very funny.....one more for the road...Daniel Craig in "Layer Cake" very handsome looking film and this Brit crime flick will keep you guessing...nicely done....
Last edited by chuck on Wed April 15th, 2009, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 15th, 2009, 10:12 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Yeah, but at least it has Clive Owen looking downright sexy! :D

SM[/quote]

There is that! :D My husband likes this film but I wouldn't rave.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed April 15th, 2009, 11:21 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]There is that! :D My husband likes this film but I wouldn't rave.[/quote]

I hated it. There was so much silliness in that one, and the only thing that saved it for me was watching Clive Owen (mighty toothsome in just about anything) and Ioann Gruffydd. Other than that, pfffft!

Watched a ghastly film yesterday, Rachel Getting Married. Only two stars from me.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed April 15th, 2009, 11:23 pm

I haven't been to a movie in a theatre for a long time, but Sat. Harm and I are hopefully going to see Clive's "Duplicity" at the theatre on the island.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Thu April 16th, 2009, 2:06 am

Recently watched the Resident Evil movies and though I don't normally like movies with Zombies I loved them.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”