Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

SuzyQ
Scribbler

Post by SuzyQ » Mon December 5th, 2011, 1:30 am

The last movie I saw was also The Muppets. Even though some of the self-aware jokes were a bit too much for me, I actually enjoyed this movie even though I wasn't a huge Muppets fan growing up. The nostalgia factor really moved me. I find myself getting really into nostalgic things these days.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon December 5th, 2011, 2:53 am

Hugo was lots of fun, esp being a silent movie fan. It needed some editing, but the two young actors were magnificient and the special effects dazzling. Definitely a movie to see.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon December 5th, 2011, 10:57 am

I really want to see the Muppets when it comes out here!!! :) Hopefully not too long until it does now. Watched Conan the Barbarian last night with the other half, and actually quite enjoyed it, even with all the blood flying around :D Sets were quite good and I found the story fast paced.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon December 5th, 2011, 11:13 am

Saw The Deep Blue Sea last night. Didn't work for me. Well acted but didn't work as a movie. The chronology jumped all over the place - to no clear benefit. Not much happened - you had to deduce everything from the dialogue, which is fine in the theatre, but you expect something different from a movie.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon December 5th, 2011, 12:06 pm

My boss saw Deep Blue Sea at the weekend and didn't like it either; she said she also didn't like the original play. Most of the reviews I've read said pretty much the same as SPB, well-acted but not a good film.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon December 5th, 2011, 12:21 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]My boss saw Deep Blue Sea at the weekend and didn't like it either; she said she also didn't like the original play. Most of the reviews I've read said pretty much the same as SPB, well-acted but not a good film.[/quote]

Well, it was at least interesting and gave my friend and me plenty to dissect over dinner afterwards. He liked it more than I did but didn't love it either.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon December 5th, 2011, 12:28 pm

PS. Not a movie as such, but the week before, I saw the current West End production of Lion in Winter starring Robert Lindsay and Joanna Lumley.

I've been interested in seeing the play or the movie based on it for years and suddenly it was on in London. Fascinating play about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine and their three sons Richard, Geoffrey and John. At least in this production, it shifts suddenly from outright farce or slapstick (at one point, classic bedroom farce) to very serious tension-filled drama. The two lead, older actors coped with this much better than the younger actors, who never quite convinced.

I'm now desperate to get my hands on the original play script and watch both the original movie and the more recent TV adaptation for comparison.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon December 5th, 2011, 5:16 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]PS. Not a movie as such, but the week before, I saw the current West End production of Lion in Winter starring Robert Lindsay and Joanna Lumley.

I've been interested in seeing the play or the movie based on it for years and suddenly it was on in London. Fascinating play about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine and their three sons Richard, Geoffrey and John. At least in this production, it shifts suddenly from outright farce or slapstick (at one point, classic bedroom farce) to very serious tension-filled drama. The two lead, older actors coped with this much better than the younger actors, who never quite convinced.

I'm now desperate to get my hands on the original play script and watch both the original movie and the more recent TV adaptation for comparison.[/quote]

I've always adored the 1968 Peter O'Toole/Katherine Hepburn version (with a young Anthony Hopkins as Richard.) I recently watched the 2003 Patrick Stewart/Glenn Close version (with Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Phillip of France) and thought it very well done.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 5th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Lumley as Eleanor? Was it a comic version?! ;)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon December 5th, 2011, 9:09 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Lumley as Eleanor? Was it a comic version?! ;)

SM[/quote]

Yes it's a very comic play, in parts.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”