Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon April 6th, 2009, 1:48 am

[quote=""Divia""]That is sitting on my TV right now. I am looking forward to watching it since Hugh Jackman is a freaking GOD. The man is just yummy.[/quote]

He is isn't he? I had the absolute pleasure of meeting him, albeit briefly, while he was signing autographs before the matinee of "The Boy From Oz" that I went to NY to see. After the show as I was leaving I almost ran right into his wife Debra who was carrying their son Oscar. She was a very nice woman but had some green thing between her front teeth, LOL!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Mon April 6th, 2009, 2:41 am

He is isn't he? I had the absolute pleasure of meeting him, albeit briefly, while he was signing autographs before the matinee of "The Boy From Oz" that I went to NY to see. After the show as I was leaving I almost ran right into his wife Debra who was carrying their son Oscar. She was a very nice woman but had some green thing between her front teeth, LOL!
Lucky, lucky you! I probably would have fainted or something...
I love the fact he married a 'normal' person too.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon April 6th, 2009, 3:09 am

[quote=""Ellie""]Australia, which despite some of the negativity I really enjoyed. And Hugh Jackman, wow![/quote]

Cool. I watched that last week with my folks. We liked it.

(During some parts I was just distracted by Hugh Jackman.)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon April 6th, 2009, 3:50 am

Just finished watching Sword of Honor disc II.....Really impressive film....Daniel Craig is terrific.....Very little action....you see the ineptness and the absurdities of war.....Film was very well done and made its point....well worth a watch.....

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Mon April 6th, 2009, 9:02 am

[quote=""Ellie""]Lucky, lucky you! I probably would have fainted or something...
I love the fact he married a 'normal' person too.[/quote]

'Cept she was more famous (in Australia) than he was when they met doing a TV show.

And he's very, very fine to look at - I've watched some pretty dreadful TV/movies just cos there's the possibility he may take his shirt off... :D

Last movie we saw was "Easy Virtue", which we enjoyed, although we did think it was a bit uneven in tone - it couldn't decide whether it was comedy or a drama at times.

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Mon April 6th, 2009, 10:42 pm

'Cept she was more famous (in Australia) than he was when they met doing a TV show.
You learn something new every day huh?
Last movie we saw was "Easy Virtue", which we enjoyed, although we did think it was a bit uneven in tone - it couldn't decide whether it was comedy or a drama at times.
I've been wanting to see that movie, and have heard several reviews similar to yours.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue April 7th, 2009, 12:38 am

Hotel Rwanda

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Tue April 7th, 2009, 1:23 am

I watched Wall-E last night, cutest movie ever.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue April 7th, 2009, 2:59 pm

We've just been to see Marley & Me - what a tearjerker! I enjoyed it, though.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu April 9th, 2009, 11:14 pm

I loved Marley and Me. although I kept thinking how simple it would have been to train some of those habits out of that dog...

Last night I sat through One Night With the King. If I hadn't been at a friend's house, I would have turned the thing off. Besides the movie's many other failings, why do people keep trying to turn the book of Esther into a love story? The drama of the book is all in the possibility of the king (her husband) killing her as a result of simply not caring enough to extend his staff. How do you get a love story out of that?

The real story of Esther is basically about managing to survive when you have a childish, drunken, polygamous megalomaniac running your life.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”