Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed July 27th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Have watched 17 Again, not bad, and Public Enemies, very good. My husband was on the watch for the bank in his hometown (in PE) but didn't see it so they must have made some changes to the interior for shooting. I thought maybe the second bank was a good candidate.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed July 27th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Just saw Harry Potter; really quite good (I continue to be amazed how these cute kids grew into talented actors, and how many of the original cast has stuck with the series). It helped to have my husband along; he read all of the books and answered a few of my questions It was early afternoon on a weekday; very few people in the audience so I didn't feel like I was disturbing anyone with my whispers, but I'd like to see it again in a packed house. The audience reactions would add to the experience!

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu July 28th, 2011, 2:25 am

We came across Death at a Funeral on TV here last night. We loved it when we saw it a few years ago, and we still laughed last night! Great movie!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri July 29th, 2011, 2:39 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Just saw Harry Potter; really quite good (I continue to be amazed how these cute kids grew into talented actors, and how many of the original cast has stuck with the series). [/quote]

Took my daughter to see this Monday, early afternoon with a handful of other folks in the house. Cried at all the appropriate places.

Before Daniel Radcliffe was Harry Potter, I remember him as the young David Copperfield in a TV production with Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) as Betsey Trotwood and Bob Hoskins as Micawber. If the kids had an ounce of talent or drive, they couldn't help but learn from all the great British actors that have played parts in the HP series, both large and small. Best of luck to them all!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 1st, 2011, 8:06 am

A charming 2006 Irish movie called Once[/I] - touching, bittersweet and like the very best romances, unrequited. The music is great as well.

Falling Slowly from Once- Youtube clip (Oscar winning Best Original Song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rq8mAh9 ... re=related

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon August 1st, 2011, 1:19 pm

We watched The Lincoln Lawyer this weekend. Very interesting.
Brenna

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon August 1st, 2011, 5:56 pm

I took myself to go see "Captain America" yesterday and very much enjoyed it. Over the weekend, I also had the 2001 Polish production of "Quo Vadis" going from Netflix. A very good adaptation; the ingenue of course has little to do but stand around having sexy pouty lips, but the lead was very good, and the casting was great. I might actually buy this one, it was impressive.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 11:21 pm

The Note. A Hallmark movie starring Genie Francis. Pretty good.

Also working on the BBC's 1979 production of Shakespeare's Henry VIII. I'm catching bits and pieces now and then. My 11 year old is actually watching it, which surprised me. Of course he spends most of his time asking me what they mean.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu August 4th, 2011, 3:57 pm

I saw Smurfs Monday night and Tuesday night rented The Lincoln Lawyer which I've seen, but I thought my dad would enjoy.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat August 13th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Fantastic Mr. Fox. Not bad. Ironically, not fantastic. Good voice cast and music though.

Kiss Me Kate (1953). Good. Think I like the stage play better though.

Easy A. Liked it so far but the jury is out until I get a replacement disc because two thirds in it started acting funny. I took it out to check for fingerprints and found a nearly circular crack near the edge. They are sending a replacement. I love Stanley Tucci in it, but I love Stanley Tucci in just about everything.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”