Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat December 29th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Lots of movies this holiday season. Saw Hitchcock and agree with Ash, it's a fun movie and Hopkins and Mirren are top rate. Also caught The Hobbit on Christmas Day and enjoyed it very much, although the high frame rate took a little getting used to. Les Miserables on hubby's BD; generally liked it, but agreed with the critics who felt the tight hold on the actors' faces while singing solos, drained some of the vitality from the movie. Still want to get to Anna Karenina and Skyfall.

Did my usual binge of holiday movies from DVD and TV: Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, two versions of A Christmas Carol (Mr. Magoo and Patrick Stewart) and all three Santa Clause (Tim Allen) movies. I had recorded a couple more, but if I don't get to them by Christmas, they get deleted!
Last edited by fljustice on Mon December 31st, 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 29th, 2012, 7:58 pm

My three 'must sees' are The Grinch, Charlie Brown, and Alistair Sim's Christmas Carol. Those are all I need for the season

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon December 31st, 2012, 4:11 pm

[quote=""Ash""]My three 'must sees' are The Grinch, Charlie Brown, and Alistair Sim's Christmas Carol. Those are all I need for the season[/quote]

I tend to record nearly everything and pick and choose each year according to my mood and time, so the actual ones watched vary from year to year. Hadn't seen the classics for a few years, so they ended up heavy on the list.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue January 1st, 2013, 5:46 pm

Have spent this entire 4.5 day holiday at home sick with vertigo, and can't really look at most screens for any period of time - but my brother told me about the show "Archer" just before I fell ill, so have enjoyed a few eps of that. HIGHLY irreverent, but oddly enough quite literally easier on the eyes (well, or inner ears?) than almost any live action I've tried to watch this weekend, it's very funny indeed. Not recommended for the easily offended, though!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed January 2nd, 2013, 5:22 pm

New Year's Eve found me and hubby on the couch with the bubbly watching Hope Springs with Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. Great acting, but the characters/plot seemed more from our parents generation than from ours. Followed that with Despicable Me a cute animated movie with a trope that always makes me roll my eyes ("It's all the mother's fault!") Followed by a great kiss and fireworks in the park. On to 2013.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri January 4th, 2013, 9:40 am

Thursday was Tolkien's birthday, so I read some of The Hobbit. Then I went to go see the movie. It's even better the third time.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri January 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]New Year's Eve found me and hubby on the couch with the bubbly watching Hope Springs with Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. Great acting, but the characters/plot seemed more from our parents generation than from ours. On to 2013.[/quote]

Well, yeah, that was the point - an older couple trying to make it work again. I thought it was great.

Saw Silver Linings Playbook. Great acting, and a very realistic look at people with mental illness, but I just couldn't like it. Maybe it was the constant screaming and drama, maybe it was the football. Predictable ending. A better movie on a similar subject (two mentally ill people connecting and helping each other) was Benny and Joon.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri January 4th, 2013, 6:13 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Well, yeah, that was the point - an older couple trying to make it work again. I thought it was great.[/quote]

I got the point and don't deny that couples in my stage of life (adult children on their own; husband/self nearing retirement) might want to rekindle a considerably diminished spark. But everyone has their own particular circumstances and experience they bring to a piece of art. I made a comment based on my own experience and your's is probably different. What bothered me was the core of the relationship and the husband's resistance to therapy. The wife seemed cowed and timid, reduced to subterfuge by a bullying husband. This doesn't describe most of the couples I know who share this stage of life with me...and therapy is almost a right of passage. It does feel very much like my parent's marriage (thirty years ago) and I still can't get my dad to therapy even though he is suffering from severe depression.

Still think the actors were great. Meryl Streep's subtlety is amazing. Like I said, just felt more like my parent's marriage than mine. Different strokes!

Saw Chasing Ice, a documentary on a photographer who is documenting the disappearing glaciers. Startling stuff.
Last edited by fljustice on Fri January 4th, 2013, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri January 4th, 2013, 8:01 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]New Year's Eve found me and hubby on the couch with the bubbly watching Hope Springs with Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. Great acting, but the characters/plot seemed more from our parents generation than from ours. Followed that with Despicable Me a cute animated movie with a trope that always makes me roll my eyes ("It's all the mother's fault!") Followed by a great kiss and fireworks in the park. On to 2013.[/quote]

I really want to see this as I love Meryl Streep but I'm not sure hubby will go for it.
Brenna

Antoine Vanner
Reader

The Hobbit was Great!!!

Post by Antoine Vanner » Sat January 5th, 2013, 2:31 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Thursday was Tolkien's birthday, so I read some of The Hobbit. Then I went to go see the movie. It's even better the third time.[/quote]

Went with my brother to see the Hobbit and we both enjoyed it immensely. We (two late middle-aged gentlemen) had to restrain ourselves from standing up and cheering at the end! Wonderful!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”