Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun March 4th, 2012, 11:41 pm

I finally started the remake of the Battlestar Galactica (yes, I know, a mere nine years later - I don't seem to have the need to see things in any great hurry). I knew I'd like it, and definitely enjoy part 1. The effects have aged well, too; good production design overall.

Following up with some unrepentant and therefore pretty charming trash entertainment, a Billy Zane "thriller" called Blue Seduction - it knows what it's up to, and thanks to that and BZ's game performance, it's good fun. The ending, though, includes a moment I can't hear properly even replaying it. So, um, oh well - but I did get the point. It was what I signed up for, and made good background noise for some revisions I'm working on.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon March 5th, 2012, 1:53 am

I liked the Japanese version of The Secret World of Arriett, but don't get why they didn't title the film The Borrowers. I agree about the combination of the two books, but I think it made sense this way. Just glad they didn't mess with the ending. (I envisioned it going all Hollywood and having the family end up living in the doll house)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon March 5th, 2012, 2:50 am

Doctor Who- The Ark in Space

(the old one are like movies.)
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon March 5th, 2012, 9:59 am

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - enjoyable, and Judi Dench and Bill Nighy are as peerless as ever.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon March 5th, 2012, 3:44 pm

[quote=""DianeL""]I finally started the remake of the Battlestar Galactica (yes, I know, a mere nine years later - I don't seem to have the need to see things in any great hurry). I knew I'd like it, and definitely enjoy part 1. The effects have aged well, too; good production design overall.[/quote]

I loved the early part of the series and enjoyed the rest...except for the ending. Will be interested to see what you think!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue March 6th, 2012, 2:27 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - enjoyable, and Judi Dench and Bill Nighy are as peerless as ever.[/quote]

I can't wait to see that one. The cast has all my favourite actors :D it's a winner :D

I watched 'The Whistleblower' with er Rachel Weisz(SP?) very thought provoking film, but not what I would call entertainment(the subject content is simply too serious).

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue March 6th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Zookeeper. Actually only saw bits and pieces while my husband and kids watched it. Not bad.

Frost/Nixon. Outstanding film, with a tremendously talented cast.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed March 7th, 2012, 4:04 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Zookeeper.Frost/Nixon. Outstanding film, with a tremendously talented cast.[/quote]

Really liked that one!

For my Super Tuesday Widow Movie Night, I watched a guilty pleasure--a comic book movie. :o This one was Ghost Rider with Nicholas Cage and Peter Fonda. Much better than the 2-star rating indicated. A sequel is coming out soon and I wanted to see this one first.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed March 7th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Ahh I really liked Frost/Nixon too, and I thought Ghost Rider deserved more than two stars Faith! :) Just been to see The Woman in Black this afternoon, very very spooky with a few changes to the storyline, did very much enjoy it though.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon March 12th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Centurion this morning. And Ironclad as well.

Action movies before breakfast... just because.
Last edited by Nefret on Mon March 12th, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”