Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 15th, 2013, 6:25 am

Posted by SonjaMarie
Don't let the Scots let them hear you call David a Brit, LOL

Lucky I'm at a safe distance :) Technically he is still a Brit at this stage, though that may change soon of course if Scotland does become independent.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun December 15th, 2013, 1:06 pm

[quote=""annis""]Been watching a BBC America adaptataion of Alan Furst's Spies of Warsaw - pretty good, I thought, with plenty of dark shadows and tension, though hard to see David Tennant as anything but a Brit! People rave about Furst and I did try one of his novels a while ago (Mission to Paris) but was disappointed - the characterization was very flat. Maybe it was an anomaly.[/quote]

Annis, my husband is a big Alan Furst fan, but while he raves about some of his books and they're keepers, he's also DNF his share too. He's not consistently good in the DH's experience, so you could well have read one of the duds.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun December 15th, 2013, 1:10 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Don't let the Scots let them hear you call David a Brit, LOL.

SM[/quote]
Everyone's a Brit while we're still the United Kingdom. Tenant's Scottish British. I'm English British. My brother can pick and choose because he was born in Scotland :-)

In other news I am off to see the Hobbit II on Thursday with my girlfriend. It's a Christmas tradition for us!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 15th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Thanks, EC. I'll give Furst another go, perhaps try some of his earlier ones, as Ludmilla suggested. And if anyone wants an intelligent thriller with spies and conspiracies at the highest level, Robert Harris' novel An Officer and a Spy (about the Dreyfus Affair) is a cracker - plenty of resonances for today, too, in this tense story featuring an unlikely whistleblower. I believe Harris and Polanski are thinking of collaborating on a movie version too.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon December 16th, 2013, 12:36 am

Went to "Desolation of Smaug" with friends last night, and the one thing I enjoyed most was the confrontation with the dragon (the most interesting character in the whole film). I wanted to like the barrel-riding action sequence, but so much of the action (that setpiece and all the rest) was CG video game stuff I just closed my eyes for stretches and thought about someone I miss, and anniversaries yesterday marked.

The film is fine for what it is, but what it is doesn't include great character development nor plausible battle scenes of any kind. :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon December 16th, 2013, 12:10 pm

We just rewatched The Lion in Winter last night, and then this morning I saw that Peter O' Toole had passed away :(

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon December 16th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Saw 'Desolation of Smaug' over the weekend. For the most part, I liked it.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon December 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

[quote=""LadyB""]We just rewatched The Lion in Winter last night, and then this morning I saw that Peter O' Toole had passed away :( [/quote]

Joan Fontaine passed away as well (Suspicion is one of my favorites).

As for what we've watched lately, some movies hubby picked out: Red and Red 2.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue December 17th, 2013, 8:21 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Joan Fontaine passed away as well (Suspicion is one of my favorites).

As for what we've watched lately, some movies hubby picked out: Red and Red 2.[/quote]

I lurve me some Karl Urban!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon December 30th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I just saw Saving Mr. Banks. I can't think when I've enjoyed a movie so much! Recommended for storytellers everywhere-- reasons to re-make the world.

Plus, as my 98-year-old very cranky Mom just moved in with me, P.L. Travers irritating personality (brilliantly played by Emma Thompson) was so familiar that I laughed until I cried. Just the pick-me-up I needed.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”