Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue February 28th, 2012, 1:20 am

When it comes to the Oscars I wish I had taken a lottery on it :D .

I picked Octavia Spencer for support actress

Christopher Plumber for support actor(I have not seen it, but thought he would get the sympathy vote)

Meryl Streep for Best Actress

Jean Dujardin, The Artist for best actor

The director of The Artist

and best film The Artist

I found the oscars rather boring in that I had a hunch the Artist would win just about everything but I have no intention of seeing it. A silent film doesn't interest me.

But I am glad Octavia won, she deserved it :D and I would have liked Glenn Close to win as she is such a great actress...But Oh well....

Bec :)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 28th, 2012, 4:50 am

I really thought Viola would win, even though I was also happy for Meryl because she hasn't won since the early 80's, I was 9! I would've also been happy with Glenn Close. I was dead on with Octavia and Christopher.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue February 28th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I finally watched ANONYMOUS and loved it. Although I don't know anything really about their theory, it was fun to watch. Shakespeare sets me to sighing. I'm such a romantic at heart.

But I couldn't believe that Emily from Friends was in it! Ha!

And, of course, Jamie wasn't hard on the eyes...

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue February 28th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Took the kids to see the US release of The Secret World of Arrietty which is a Japanese anime adaptation of Mary Norton's Borrowers books. I think those who like anime but have never read the books will enjoy this more than those of us who've read Norton's series. I wish they had stuck more closely to the story of the first book instead of combining elements from the first two books to come up with their version. I also didn't like what they did with one of my favorite characters (Spiller) from the series. Their image of him is not even close in spirit to the illustrations of Spiller in the books. Of course, neither is their image of the father, Pod, who is much more buff in the film. Must admit, I was disappointed, but the kids enjoyed it.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed February 29th, 2012, 2:32 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I really thought Viola would win, even though I was also happy for Meryl because she hasn't won since the early 80's, I was 9! I would've also been happy with Glenn Close. I was dead on with Octavia and Christopher.

SM[/quote]

I thought Meryl had the BA award pretty much well wrapped up...She seems to have scooped ALL the awards world wide for her role as MT. But Glenn Close is such a fine actress and I loved her in Damages. As for the Artist..ah hem,nah don't fancy it :rolleyes: .

I also read that Emma Thompson will now be portraying the Queen in a new movie(not sure if it's cinema or TV)about the guy who broke into the Queen's bedroom. I shall watch it, Emma is one of my fave actors.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 29th, 2012, 3:00 am

Revolutionary Road. Was up for some Oscars a few years ago. Man, is it ever depressing! Great acting, but not a feel-good film.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 29th, 2012, 9:42 am

I was bored stiff by Revolutionary Road, and yes it was pretty depressing too! Not a good advert for married, middle-class life. Well-acted but dull.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed February 29th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Real Steel with Hugh Jackman; fun popcorn movie; upbeat, scrappy little guy takes on rich bitch, father and estranged son, cute kid and...giant fighting robots! What's not to love? :D
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri March 2nd, 2012, 1:32 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Revolutionary Road. Was up for some Oscars a few years ago. Man, is it ever depressing! Great acting, but not a feel-good film.[/quote]

I hated Revolutionary Road and could never sit through it again. It would be like pulling teeth! I shall be checking out Blockbuster tomorrow and see what's in.

Lastnight watched a few episodes of Miranda, quite funny and Tom Ellis..*SWOON*>>falls off chair. :eek: :D

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri March 2nd, 2012, 2:11 am

Just watched a little documentary with Terry Jones in it called The Hidden Lives of the Egyptians. Great good fun, especially when he decides to dress like an Egyptian.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”