Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon February 20th, 2012, 12:13 am

Hubby and I had what seems to have become our Sunday routine movie afternoon. We watched two bad movies.

Contagion-If you want a scary movie that is not horror based, this one is it. However, if you thought humanity was pathetic before, this movie won't chang your mind.

How She Does It-Bad, bad, bad movie. I really like Sarah Jessica Parker, but this was just bad. We stopped it halfway through.
Brenna

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon February 20th, 2012, 12:27 am

Possession, it was okay.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon February 20th, 2012, 12:47 am

[quote=""Ash""]I just watched Descendents - wow. Ok, so The Artist is no longer my top film of the year'; this one is amazing. Clooney as usual was his handsome self, but thid role was probably the best I've seen him, and I hope to see those two young ladies who play his daughters in many more films in the future. Having dealt with my share of illness and death this last year, I think I can say that there was not a wrong move, wrong emotion, wrong decision in this movie. And the last 3 minutes, completely silent except for a tv in the background, was one of the better 'bits of business' I've seen in a movie for a long while.[/quote]

I think I'm one of the few people who knew Shailene Woodley's name before she was cast in this. She was the lead in the American Girls Felicity movie. She was adorable in it.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon February 20th, 2012, 4:41 am

"The Help", powerful movie, emotional. I really hope Viola and Octavia win the Oscars. Guess we'll find out next Sunday.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue February 21st, 2012, 12:39 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"The Help", powerful movie, emotional. I really hope Viola and Octavia win the Oscars. Guess we'll find out next Sunday.

SM[/quote]

I agree and liked the movie much better than the book. I have a feeling Octavia will probably win for The Help but Meryl will win for Iron Lady(still haven't seen that one yet). I shall be watching the Oscars which begins MY Monday morning :D Thank God for satellite TV it beats having to sit up till 1 AM :eek: ...But on Oscar day I never watch the news because I do NOT want to know who won what until I see it for myself.

On the weekend I watched Paranormal Activity 3 :rolleyes: What a bore! :rolleyes: Didn't like it at all...The first one scared me silly :eek: but not this one...it was a snooze fest.

Does anyone know when 'The Lady In black' will be released? It stars Daniel Radcliffe(SP?).

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 12:07 am

The Sting. There's a reason it's a classic. Fabulous film. Holds up even this much later.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Sun February 26th, 2012, 5:32 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]The Sting. There's a reason it's a classic. Fabulous film. Holds up even this much later.[/quote]

I thought it was one of the worst films I've ever seen. I remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and I was totally lost as to what was going on. If I wasn't with someone, I would have walked out before it was half over.

laktor
Reader

The Tree of Life

Post by laktor » Sun February 26th, 2012, 5:33 am

Just saw The Tree of Life, a film that nine out of 10 film critics are saying is their favourite film of the year. Uh...please! This has to go straight into the garbage bin. I admit it would have made a pretty good family drama IF they had left out all the hokey crap. I mean, come on, who wants to watch 25 consecutive minutes of scenery and visual effects? That's right....25 straight minutes! Man, I was bored out of my mind! At the end of this very long film was a scene of people walking back and forth along a beach....walking zombies to me...and hell if I know what THAT was all about! A good movie is one that you DO NOT have to ask someone after it's all over what the heck was going on in a scene! Oh, and Sean Penn had some scenes but every time he came on screen, I had to ask myself...WHO ARE YOU? I swear I had no idea who his character was UNTIL I saw his name in the closing credits!!! This goes on my WORST MOVIES OF ALL TIME list!!

No wonder I don't give a crap about the Oscars!!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun February 26th, 2012, 6:02 am

Now that I have Netflix available on my telly, I've been working on getting caught up on my movie queue:

http://www.epinions.com/review/the-hous ... 8622230148 -- The Housemaid (movie)
http://www.epinions.com/review/Queen/co ... 8504527492 -- The Queen (2009) (miniseries)
http://www.epinions.com/review/Downton_ ... 9313962628 -- Downton Abbey, season 2 (miniseries)
http://www.epinions.com/review/mvie_mu- ... 9541175940 -- Croupier (movie)
http://www.epinions.com/review/edward-a ... 0142141060 -- Edward and Mrs. Simpson (miniseries)
http://www.epinions.com/review/The_Huma ... 0869394052 -- The Human Resources Manager (movie)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue February 28th, 2012, 12:03 am

Yesterday, inspired by the rarefied snootery of Oscar season coming to a head, I had a fit of "let's watch something LURID" and Netflicked up "The Countess". This is a biopic about Erszebet Bathory, often called The Blood Countess. She was either one of the most prolific killers in history, or victim of a massive political and gender conspiracy - and, surprisingly, the film turned out NOT to treat the subject as cheaply as I expected.

I very much enjoyed it, and recommend it as an interesting piece of histfic. There is, it must be said, obviously some blood to deal with; however, this is not an extremely violent nor even a noisy film. It moves mostly quietly through the story of a woman facing multiple crises and embodying them all in one obsession, and though there are a couple of pretty big holes in the plot, overall it's a pretty impressive and enjoyable story.
Last edited by DianeL on Tue February 28th, 2012, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”