Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun February 5th, 2012, 4:51 pm

I just finished reading Fire and Rain, a look at the music and times of the 70s, focusing on the break up of the Beatles, Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young, and Simon and Garfunkel, and the rise of James Taylor and other 'soft rock' writers. I was 13 in the 70s, just beginning to get a sense of the world, and eating up the music of the time. I enjoyed finding out much of what was hidden in those days. It does talk about Across the Universe - this was in production when the Beatles broke up and basically they didn't want to lost money. So when Let It Be was released, the went ahead with the movie, using the songs, and putting together a montage of the groups various activities. It was pretty much a flop, but it was certainly of its time

As for the Walrus - it was fun, like nursery rhymes that don't make sense are fun to little kids. Thats my take on it anyway :)

Leonardo Noto
Scribbler

The Social Network

Post by Leonardo Noto » Sun February 5th, 2012, 8:01 pm

I just watched The Social Network, which is about the rise of FaceBook. I really enjoyed it and I thought that both the storyline and the acting were superb. It's nice to see a film that makes you think every now and again...

Leonardo Noto
Author: The Life of a Colonial Fugitive.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun February 5th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Because it's cold and gloomy outside, hubby and I have been watching The Lord of the Rings Extended Blu-ray version. Awesomeness!
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon February 6th, 2012, 12:57 am

[quote=""Leonardo Noto""]I just watched The Social Network, which is about the rise of FaceBook. I really enjoyed it and I thought that both the storyline and the acting were superb. It's nice to see a film that makes you think every now and again...

Leonardo Noto
Author: The Life of a Colonial Fugitive.[/quote]

I enjoyed that movie and I thought the script top notch even thought I didn't understand all the computer lingo, the acting was brilliant...but when it comes to big money-out goes friendship.

Bec :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon February 6th, 2012, 2:24 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Because it's cold and gloomy outside, hubby and I have been watching The Lord of the Rings Extended Blu-ray version. Awesomeness![/quote]

Which movie?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 6th, 2012, 10:09 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Because it's cold and gloomy outside, hubby and I have been watching The Lord of the Rings Extended Blu-ray version. Awesomeness![/quote]

They're great "cold weather so hunker down" movies - I remember watching the first film one dark rainy Sunday afternoon - perfect :D
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon February 6th, 2012, 2:34 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Which movie?[/quote]

We started the Fellowship of the Ring last weekend and then watched the other two this weekend. Although we didn't finish the third movie before the Super Bowl came on so I guess that will have to wait until next weekend.
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue February 7th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Saw the English language version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with Daniel Craig. Good cast, faithful adaptation, but what's up with that bizarre dark opening? Not better than the Swedish version, not worse--not necessary.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri February 10th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Emma (1996)- Kate Beckinsale
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri February 10th, 2012, 9:50 pm

That was a pretty good one, Nefret. Too short, and they misplayed Mr. Knightley but I liked it overall.

Watched The Dream Team. Nice to just relax and laugh. Also enjoyed singing along with the mostly 80s soundtrack.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”