Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Tue November 30th, 2010, 9:21 pm

:confused: [quote=""LoveHistory""]Which version, Ken?[/quote]

Katherine Hepburn/Peter O'Toole/Anthony Hopkins! Is there another?!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue November 30th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Yes, there was a cable remake with Glenn Close & Patrick Stewart.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 30th, 2010, 9:48 pm

[quote=""Ken""] :confused:

Katherine Hepburn/Peter O'Toole/Anthony Hopkins! Is there another?!!!!!!!!!! :confused: [/quote]

Yes. As Sonja said.

Don't remember who played Richard or John but John Light played Geoffrey and what's-his-name Henry VIII on The Tudors was Phillip. It's not the original of course, but it's good.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed December 1st, 2010, 12:44 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]and what's-his-name Henry VIII on The Tudors was Phillip. [/quote]

You mean Jonathan Rhys Meyers. :D In a very dodgy wig.

I couldn't take to this version, mainly because I thought PS was way too old for H2.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed December 1st, 2010, 6:56 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]You mean Jonathan Rhys Meyers. :D In a very dodgy wig. [/quote]

Oh, that's right. Too funny. I thought this version was iffy, too. Glenn Close wasn't really my vision of my Eleanor, though I loved her in the re-make of Hamlet with Mel Gibson.

Watched a movie with Tilda Swinton called Julia, about an alcoholic mess of a woman who kidnaps a child. Meryl Streep gets the kudos, rightfully, but I think Swinton is right up there with the best of the best.

Also saw a stunning Argentinian film called The Secret In Their Eyes, about a journalist investigating the brutal murder of a young woman.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed December 1st, 2010, 9:42 pm

What I liked about the GC/PS version is that it's longer so we get some of the things that were cut for the original movie, and Alys actually sounded more French plus they gave her more of a backbone. Both screenplays were written by the man who wrote the play.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 12:30 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]. Both screenplays were written by the man who wrote the play.[/quote]

Huh, I didn't realize that. Ok, maybe I will watch the new one. (but I will always hold the first one near and dear to my heart)

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 1:34 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]Also saw a stunning Argentinian film called The Secret In Their Eyes, about a journalist investigating the brutal murder of a young woman.[/quote]

Thanks for that, CW. I love world cinema, and there have been some excellent Argentinian films in the recent past. Have you seen Nueve Reinas from a few years ago? It's fab.

On my Latin American to-watch list at the moment are Sin Nombre, about the gangs who control the illegal migrants travelling north through Central America, and The Maid, a reputedly excellent Chilean drama about a family and their very scary maid. Have you seen them?
Last edited by parthianbow on Thu December 2nd, 2010, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: error
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 1:55 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Huh, I didn't realize that. Ok, maybe I will watch the new one. (but I will always hold the first one near and dear to my heart)[/quote]

It's hard (or impossible) to top Hepburn and O'Toole.

I will warn you that at first the new one is jarring. You can't help but compare the two. But after a while you stop thinking about the original film and it becomes more enjoyable. It has a certain charm of its own.

re JRM's wig: yes it was indeed horrible and distracting. :D

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun December 5th, 2010, 2:55 am

Watched Agora. OMG the Christians look like a bunch of ignorant haters in that movie.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”