Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon December 29th, 2008, 2:59 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"My Fellow Americans", started it last night and finished it today, hilarious movie!
SM[/quote]

That, and Dave, are probably my two favorite president movies.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon December 29th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Bit of a movie-fest this Christmas:

Frost/Nixon
Changeling
Kingdom of Heaven director's cut (way better than the cinema release).

SO has bought a great big spanking new flatscreen HD telly so everything is crisp, huge and luscious. No more small-tv middle-class household thang for us - I'm converted ;) . KoH looks totally fantastic - feel like I'm in the middle of the crusades :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 29th, 2008, 7:27 pm

[quote=""Ash""]That, and Dave, are probably my two favorite president movies.[/quote]

Yes, I like "Dave" a lot too! If it was available on On Demand like the other two "President" movies, I'd probably watch it as well.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Mon December 29th, 2008, 9:28 pm

I watched The Orphanage yesterday. It was excellent, so sad, but not as scary as I thought it would be, which isn't a criticism. It had some very creepy elements, but as I was watching it at home, and not on the big screen, in a darkened cinema, I was probably ready for any scares. Great film though.

AuntiePam
Reader

Post by AuntiePam » Mon December 29th, 2008, 10:28 pm

I've started watching The Forsyte Saga, the BBC production from 1967. It's not much to look at, production wise, but the story and the language more than makes up for the claustrophobic sets. Heck, Victorian drawing rooms were claustrophobic, so maybe they were going for authenticity.

I remember what I thought when I started the books: "Gah, I hate this Soames guy. I hope this isn't gonna be all about him." :p

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue December 30th, 2008, 1:27 am

[quote=""AuntiePam""]I've started watching The Forsyte Saga, the BBC production from 1967.[/quote]

PBS did a remake a few years ago; it was a two part series. The first serieswas in the 2003-4 season; the second was in 2004.
Also some background to the 1967 series.
Last edited by princess garnet on Tue December 30th, 2008, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AuntiePam
Reader

Post by AuntiePam » Tue December 30th, 2008, 1:40 am

I almost wish I would have gotten that one instead. The actor who plays Bosinney is slimy looking, not attractive at all -- it's hard to imagine June falling for him, let alone Irene. ::shudder:: Then there's that bright lights effect you get in some black-and-white films where it looks like there's a thin black space between some people's teeth. ::shudder again::

But Kenneth More makes a wonderful Young Jolyon, and the woman who plays Irene is perfect, as is Soames. All the older generation is cast really well. It's just Bosinney who's wrong.

PBS is good about repeating series; maybe they'll do it again soon.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:37 am

watched X files the other night, really liked it I knew they would get together.

last night we watched Virgin Territory absolutely funny! not for childern as there is nudity, some language but not horrible, and oh so funny!! don't look at it as a historical acurate film though, just as a 14 century comedy about 'virgins aren't always angels and angels arent always virgins' (according to the cover)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue December 30th, 2008, 5:44 am

Nona The X files .....Good Stuff.....Saw "To Kill a King" handsome looking film....1645 near the end of the English Civil War......full of historical inaccuracies (plot by Lord Fairfax to assassinate Cromwell), Dougray Scott, Tim Roth, Olivia Williamson and Rupert Everett....average acting, poor editing, good looking sets and costumes(bit OTT on the pilgrim look).....With that said I still enjoyed the film.....with more polishing the film could have been so much better......The complex love/hate relationship between Cromwell and Fairfax was interesting....I kept thinking that I was looking at people who lived at Jamestown, Plymouth Village and Boston.....The Puritans, Pilgrims, and the Military.....Alas I'm digressing again.......

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue December 30th, 2008, 10:20 am

I went and saw Twilight tonight. Thought it was pretty good. Prefer the book though...of course!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”