Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Outlander Season Three

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: Outlander Season Three

Post by Misfit » Thu October 26th, 2017, 12:14 am

Susan wrote:I have no memory of Mr. Willoughby from the novels!
My memory is bad, but I swear he's not new. Someone prove me wrong.

http://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a ... sive-clip/

http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/10/25/out ... sex-video/

More hints to the next episode. Fergus! Fergus! Fergus!
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu October 26th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Mr Willoughby was the Chinese man who Jamie rescued. In the book he has a monkey, I think. I would imagine the beginning of the next episode will have him feature quite a bit, if my memory serves me clearly!! He definitely causes trouble.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu October 26th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Let me clarify - once I saw Mr. Willoughby, I did recall he was a character in the novel(s) but I don't remember a thing about him even after reading Vanessa's post so I look forward to seeing what role he plays.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 31st, 2017, 2:18 pm

A few negative comments about ep7. There were a few changes to the book. Mr Willoughby didn’t feature as much. In fact, he was a different character to the book, perhaps for the better. Not so stereotyped. There was a big change at the beginning in that

I didn’t mind the changes. It’s a huge book and for them to fit everything in, it has to be condensed in some way. I’m just grateful they’re adapting it! Are there as many negative comments for Game of Thrones, I wonder? There are plenty of changes there to mull over! It doesn’t seem to attract the same gnashing of teeth, though. :roll:

At least it gets the brain working, trying to work out where they’ve changed it and if you can remember so much!

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 1st, 2017, 1:21 pm

Regarding any changes in the Outlander TV series - Diana Gabaldon is a paid consultant on the TV series so I would assume she is aware of any changes. On Facebook, she often posts about her experiences with the series.

Game of Thrones TV series is a much, much bigger phenomenon than the Outlander TV series. I think many (I would venture to say most) viewers of the Game of Thrones TV series have not read the books and therefore there are fewer complaints about the changes. I just get the feeling that most of the Outlander watchers also read the novels and that would cause more comments about any changes.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 1st, 2017, 11:42 pm

It has been some years since I read the first three of the series, so I'm not picking up on many of the changes. I do think they're doing a good job sticking as close as they are, there is a lot of stuff in each book that they just can't cover it all in one season.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Thu November 2nd, 2017, 2:35 pm

Yes, I think they’re doing a great job of adapting it. To fit it into their time constraints they will have to change things and characters. Just don’t understand people moaning and refusing to watch any more. Books and TV are different mediums. It’s easier to write about something than show it on screen. Looking forward to ep8! Fireworks, I think!
:twisted: :shock: :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 3rd, 2017, 12:16 am

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 3rd, 2017, 9:56 am

There are lots of comments about Game of Thrones and the changes they've made! Doesn't matter with the later series as there aren't any books, but there've been lots of comments from some fans. Personally as long as a change isn't that drastic then I don't mind, and books obviously have to be cut down for TV/film, especially ones as big as Outlander and GoT!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat November 4th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Try reading the unabridged version of Count of Monte Cristo (sp?) and then watching any version you might pick. There is just no way to get all of that book into even a TV series. Unless it was a very long series.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”