Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

Post by princess garnet » Sun June 12th, 2016, 5:48 pm

I came across this first look video of the new historical drama series "Victoria" coming to PBS's "Masterpiece" in January 2017. Jenna Coleman plays the titular role. The series focuses on a young Victoria before she came to the throne. Enjoy!
Note: Video will play in the US only.

Last month I read the filming for the series is done.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

Post by Madeleine » Mon September 5th, 2016, 1:29 pm

This started screening here last Sunday, 3 episodes in (they showed another one last Monday to get it established before Poldark started) and it's OK, nice and easy to look at and to watch it, but I don't think it's particularly well-written - they keep going on about how young/small Victoria is, and some of the supporting characters are like comedy villains (or pantomime dames for those familiar with panto). But an easy bit of fluff for Sunday nights. And Rufus Sewell has been causing quite a stir ;) No Albert yet though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue September 6th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Script is very silly. I shall not make an effort to watch any more. I am really fed up with these programmes made with one eye to the overseas market. I blame Downton (of which I was not a fan) for this. I remember the days when ITV made gritty dramas and wish we could get back to that. I admit to bias because I regard anything that has Rufus Sewell in with huge suspicion in advance and he rarely proves me wrong. I'd rather watch Bake-Off (which actually gets better ratings).
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed September 7th, 2016, 8:29 am

We;'re obsessed with the Bake Off in my office - bread tonight ;)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri September 9th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Just don't try the Viennese whirls, they are what my dad used to refer to as 'walking sugar diabetes' - way too sweet. However, for me to be watching a cooking programme is somewhat unique which just goes to show how dire I think our drama has become, particularly that scheduled for Sunday nights.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 9th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Yes but they're fine as a guilty pleasure ;)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri September 23rd, 2016, 8:43 pm

Looks like "Victoria" has been doing well in the UK--it's been renewed for a 2nd season.

Also, Daisy Godwin's forthcoming novel on Victoria will be released in Nov. 2016 in the US. The cover design seems familiar...

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri September 30th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Doesn't surprise me. ITV has become a no-go area for quality TV. It reminds me of what happened to Channel 4 when they submerged themselves in Big Brother. I stopped even bothering to see what they had on and cheered when BB went to Channel 5 (which I never watch). Having said that Channel 4 seem to be making a comeback and have had a couple of really good programmes recently.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun January 15th, 2017, 1:08 am

To fellow US forum members, the premiere episode of "Victoria" airs on PBS tomorrow night! Run time is approx. 2 hours. Check your local listings.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 18th, 2017, 12:43 am

Never would have been able to stay up Sunday until 9PM. Watching the livestream from the local PBS channel, getting very poor image quality, and that's odd since I usually have great results with this monitor. Hmmm, very distracting, it's terribly poor quality. Comcast won't let me watch it yet, hopefully that is better.

I believe the actress portraying the new dresser/hair stylist is the actress who played Loaghair (sp?) in the Outlander series?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”