Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

Post by Misfit » Wed February 22nd, 2017, 10:03 am

princess garnet wrote:Program note to fellow US viewers: the season finale will air on March 5th. The Oscars are on this Sunday night (Feb. 26) so check your local PBS station listings for that night.
Thanks for that, any idea when season 2 begins?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 22nd, 2017, 10:05 am

Susan wrote:I'm currently reading the latest biography of Queen Victora by Julia Baird and last week I bought a book I've been eyeing for a while, Serving Victoria by Kate Hubbard, about Queen Victoria's household.There's quite a bit in the book about Marianne Skerrett and some information on Rudolf Löhlein,Albert's valet. As the personal servant to Albert and someone who was privy to very personal information, it is possible that Löhlein could have been at that announcement...if it actually happened.Löhlein was Albert's valet until Albert's death in 1861, and he was at Albert's deathbed. After Albert's death, Victoria appointed Löhlein as an "Extra Personal Attendant," the same title John Brown had, and he died in 1886.
There it is, I missed it. You were quite clear.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed February 22nd, 2017, 1:14 pm

I read a few articles that said filming for season 2 began last week. It will be shown in the UK in the fall, so I am guessing it will start on PBS in January as it did this year. Anyone who wants to know what happens and/or wants some facts, I recommend Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire by Julia Baird, published in November 2016. I am currently reading it and enjoying it.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed February 22nd, 2017, 1:21 pm

I just wasn't sure if it was shortened to HRH so early.
I think I misunderstood you. I think you're talking about using "HRH" as a shortened way to refer to His/Her Royal Highness and I gave you a history of the style! I have to be honest and say I didn't notice it in the show, but it was and still is a common way to refer to a royal mostly by servants or others that deal with a royal. The maid to the footman, "HRH is awake and wants her tea."
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 22nd, 2017, 2:02 pm

Susan wrote:
I just wasn't sure if it was shortened to HRH so early.
I think I misunderstood you. I think you're talking about using "HRH" as a shortened way to refer to His/Her Royal Highness and I gave you a history of the style! I have to be honest and say I didn't notice it in the show, but it was and still is a common way to refer to a royal mostly by servants or others that deal with a royal. The maid to the footman, "HRH is awake and wants her tea."
That's how it was used in the show, the servants talking about V&A among themselves.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 22nd, 2017, 2:03 pm

Susan wrote:
I read a few articles that said filming for season 2 began last week. It will be shown in the UK in the fall, so I am guessing it will start on PBS in January as it did this year. Anyone who wants to know what happens and/or wants some facts, I recommend Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire by Julia Baird, published in November 2016. I am currently reading it and enjoying it.
I will keep that in mind.
Off Topic
Currently stuck in the Georgian era with a long series by Patricia Veryan.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri March 3rd, 2017, 1:40 am

I came across this casting announcement for season 2: Dame Diana Rigg will be starring as Charlotte Montagu Douglas Scott, the Duchess of Buccleuch.

Of interest, Dame Diana Rigg played the Baroness Lehzen in the 2001 "Victoria & Albert" TV mini-series

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 3rd, 2017, 2:09 am

Last episode for season one up on Sunday. PBS site has some previews, looks like Ernst might be back and...trouble...

Found this on FB, about Season two. http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-re ... ond-series
Picking up six weeks after the first series ended, the second instalment establishes Victoria as a working mother, learning to balance her responsibilities as both parent and Queen. However, with Prince Albert still struggling to find a role for himself there is an inevitable power struggle between husband and wife.

Dame Diana Rigg will play the Duchess of Bucchleuch, the young Queen’s new Mistress of the Robes, who is renowned for speaking her mind. She joins returning cast members including Nigel Lindsay (Unforgotten) as Sir Robert Peel, Alex Jennings (The Lady In The Van) as King Leopold, Peter Bowles (To The Manor Born) as Duke of Wellington, David Oakes (The White Queen) as Ernest, Daniela Holtz (Circle Of Life) as Baroness Lehzen and Catherine Flemming (Tatort) as the Duchess of Kent. Below stairs Nell Hudson (Outlander) returns as Skerrett, Ferdinand Kingsley (Borgia) as chef Francatelli and Adrian Schiller (The Secret Agent) as Penge.

As well as much drama in Buckingham Palace, the series will include trips to France and Germany, touch on tragedy in Ireland and war in Afghanistan, and see Victoria and Albert discovering sanctuary in the Isle of Wight.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 3rd, 2017, 9:46 am

I don't think they've finished filming series 2 yet, as there were some pics in the paper the other day of them still in costume, so no news of when it's screening over here yet.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun March 5th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Some of it is filmed at the studios near me. Had the odd camera crew man visit our local pub for a steak! :D

http://churchfentonstudios.co.uk

http://www.screenyorkshire.co.uk/church ... s/studios/
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”