Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: Victoria (US broadcast January 2017)

Post by Misfit » Wed January 25th, 2017, 1:50 am

Is that a zipper? Sorry, couldn't resist a small bit of snark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed January 25th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Good eyes! Could be a zipper! I was watching the second episode yesterday (I DVRed it) and I have to admit I drowsed off during a bit of it. Perhaps things will pick up in the next episode when we see more of Albert.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 25th, 2017, 2:01 pm

I didn't stay up for the whole thing, but I was tired anyway. Melbourne Melbourne Melbourne (did I spell that right?).

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Sat February 4th, 2017, 1:05 am

I wasn't able to stomach the first episode, so I haven't been watching. I much preferred Young Victoria.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 4th, 2017, 8:43 pm

lauragill wrote:I wasn't able to stomach the first episode, so I haven't been watching. I much preferred Young Victoria.
I completely forgot to watch it. Off to Comcast I go...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 5th, 2017, 3:36 pm

OK, watched last week's episode. Things do improve a bit now that Albert's in the storyline, although I don't see what he sees in her. She is such a spoiled, self centered little thing. Yes, I know she's queen and gets what she wants, but she comes across as such a little foot-stomper IMHO. Perhaps Albert will change that. I still think the jewels they have her wearing are very pasty looking, could they not try to make the diamonds glitter just a little?

Not sure what I think of dragging out the upstairs/downstairs trope. Hasn't that been done enough?

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun February 5th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Misfit wrote:OK, watched last week's episode. Things do improve a bit now that Albert's in the storyline, although I don't see what he sees in her. She is such a spoiled, self centered little thing. Yes, I know she's queen and gets what she wants, but she comes across as such a little foot-stomper IMHO. Perhaps Albert will change that. I still think the jewels they have her wearing are very pasty looking, could they not try to make the diamonds glitter just a little?

Not sure what I think of dragging out the upstairs/downstairs trope. Hasn't that been done enough?
Albert was marrying substantially up and that was a big plus. He was the second son of a minor German Duke. Their mutual grandmother Augusta Reuss of Erbesdorf, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld may have been the first person to suggest a marriage between them. In 1821, in a letter to her daughter Victoria, Duchess of Kent, Augusta suggested the possibility of marriage between her daughter's daughter, the future Queen Victoria, and Albert, the second son of her son Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Victoria and Albert were only two years old at the time.

I see that in an episode or two, Victoria starts worrying that she will die in childbirth like her cousin Princess Charlotte of Wales did. Charlotte's death in childbirth after delivering a stillborn son in 1817 was a national tragedy that greatly affected the British succession to the throne. Charlotte would have been Queen if she had survived. She was mourned by the British people in a manner similar to the mourning of Diana, Princess of Wales. Charlotte’s pregnancy and delivery were grossly mismanaged and the doctor in charge later committed suicide. For more information, see my short article at http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/novemb ... sh-throne/. Uncle Leopold (born Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld) was Charlotte's husband. In 1831, when Belgium broke away from the Netherlands, Leopold became King of the Belgians. He exerted a lot of influence over Victoria and Albert.

The series is over-exaggerating Victoria's self-centered behavior. Victoria fell in love with Albert at first sight. From my article Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/may-24 ... oyal-date/ First cousins Victoria and Albert met for the first time in 1836 when Albert and his elder brother Ernst visited England. Seventeen-year-old Victoria seemed instantly infatuated with Albert. She wrote to her uncle Leopold, “How delighted I am with him, and how much I like him in every way. He possesses every quality that could be desired to make me perfectly happy.”...In October of 1839, Albert and Ernst again visited England, staying at Windsor Castle with Victoria, who was now Queen. On October 15, 1839, the 20-year-old monarch summoned her cousin Albert and proposed to him. Albert accepted, but wrote to his stepmother, “My future position will have its dark sides, and the sky will not always be blue and unclouded.”

I could also do without the downstairs part of the plot. Victoria did have a dresser named Marianne Skerrett, but unlike in the series, her background was impeccable. Here's a photo of her and a small bit of info: http://www.19thcenturyphotos.com/Marian ... 125201.htm.

I haven't read a Victoria biography in a long time, so I recently purchased the newest one Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire by Julia Baird. I know the major details of Victoria's life and could draw a genealogy chart of her children and grandchildren, but I don't recall all the minor details. I want to see how close the series comes to the real life, which I have a feeling will be "over-exaggerated and not quite true." Nevertheless, I am enjoying the series.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 5th, 2017, 10:36 pm

Thank you Susan, lots of info as always.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 6th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Snow day, so I had a chance to watch last night's episode. Thoughts:

Was the budget that constrained they have to keep using the same dresses over and over again?

The downstairs story line is not necessary IMHO and very distracting from the main story. They've just added a new character from Albert's house servants with a connection to one of Victoria's.

I did like the first part, I thought the pair of newly-in-love couple was sweet. Albert's such an angsty-broody kind of man.

I assume Ernst will have to go back to Coburg. I am going to miss the scamp :)

Edit:

I do feel for Albert marrying into a non-position like that, no real duties and dependent on his wife for funds. Can't be easy.

I am beginning to feel like I'm in a PG book, but instead of the constant head clubbing of Melusine or York Princess, it's Queen Queen Queen Queen. You are the Queen, I am the Queen, etc.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Pale Horse" by Agatha Christie & "The Corset" by Laura Purcell
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 6th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Yes I thought Ernst was more interesting than Albert. Lord Melbourne was quite popular here too.
Currently reading "The Pale Horse" by Agatha Christie & "The Corset" by Laura Purcell

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”