Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hollywood's Latest Trend

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Hollywood's Latest Trend

Post by Rowan » Mon October 26th, 2015, 1:59 am

Is it just me or does there seem to be a sudden fascination on the part of small screen (read television) writers to produce programmes involving the mid-20th century? Just started watching a new one on Amazon called The Man in the High Castle and then on regular television is Amerikans.

The Amazon show is about a United States that didn't win WW2 and was divided between the Third Reich and Japan with what appears to be a neutral zone roughly along the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains. There's a group of youngish people in this 1960s drama who have heard from their parents what things were like prior to the War and want that again.

I'm not sure about Amerikans other than it's set during the Cold War and involves spies in the US.

I know movies have seen a WW2 trend that's outside of the typical war movies of old, but it's rare for television to dip into this.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”