Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Calling All Fans of Bernard Cornwell's Viking Series

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Calling All Fans of Bernard Cornwell's Viking Series

Post by Rowan » Wed October 7th, 2015, 9:53 pm

I just discovered that BBC America has a new series starting this Saturday, 10 October 2015 (10/9 Central) called 'The Last Kingdom' based on Bernard Cornwell's series. I'm excited about it because it is one of my favourite series of historical fiction.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Re: Calling All Fans of Bernard Cornwell's Viking Series

Post by Nefret » Thu October 8th, 2015, 2:46 am

How do I see it if I don't have BBCA?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu October 8th, 2015, 9:41 am

Nefret wrote:How do I see it if I don't have BBCA?
Perhaps it will be available on the BBCA website.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu October 8th, 2015, 4:40 pm

I've been waiting more than a year for this! I knew this was in the works, but didn't know they'd be airing in the US! Can't wait!

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Mon October 12th, 2015, 3:09 pm

So did you see it Mythica? If so, what did you think? I really liked it. I hope they cover the whole book series.

And for those of you who don't have BBCA, the episode is on their website now. :)

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Mon October 12th, 2015, 4:29 pm

I thought it was a little disappointing - too rushed, not enough cultural detail (apparently the Danes and Saxons spoke the same language). But I'll stick with it and hopefully it will improve.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Mon October 12th, 2015, 7:59 pm

I don't think any historical movie or television programme is going to tackle language differences. In an ideal world, they would cater to only those who love history and want accuracy in recreating that history, but they're going to go for broader appeal. It's nice to see there are no well-known stars in it.

And if they stay true to the length of a tv series in the UK, they aren't as long as ours are. So they might very well try to cram as much information in as they can. I don't know.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon October 12th, 2015, 11:42 pm

It's not really a Viking series. It really is about the Saxons and how the nation of England developed. Bernard Cornwell calls the series of books The Saxon Stories. Many of the actors appear in British television. If you watch enough British shows, you'll recognize many actors in different roles. Matthew Macfadyen who plays Uhtred's father has been in a bunch of stuff and plays Edmund Reid, the lead role in Ripper Street. The actor who plays Alfred the Great, David Dawson, also appeared in Ripper Street as a newspaper reporter. Rutger Hauer is a Dutch actor who has had a very long career and has been in many, many English language films. The TV show The Vikings which appears on the History Channel does somewhat deal with the language differences. From http://themonstrousmiddleages.blogspot. ... nnels.html - "The new TV drama Vikings, written by Michael Hirst (The Tudors, The Borgias, Elizabeth, Elizabeth: The Golden Age), is the first drama made by The History Channel. It follows the lives of the Viking Ragnar Lothbrok and an Anglo-Saxon monk called Athelstan, and is loosely based on the sagas and on historical events. Throughout the series, as new characters are introduced, they are seen speaking their own language with subtitles provided in Modern English. The use of these historical languages illustrates cultural identities and relationships, and helps to bring the eighth century alive for an audience who may know very little about it."
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Tue October 13th, 2015, 12:46 am

Rowan wrote:I don't think any historical movie or television programme is going to tackle language differences. In an ideal world, they would cater to only those who love history and want accuracy in recreating that history, but they're going to go for broader appeal.
Lol, you obviously haven't watched The Vikings. I'm not expecting them to speak authentic languages all the time, but when a Saxon boy is captured by the Danes and has no difficulty speaking with them, it's a little annoying. In The Vikings, they mostly speak English of course, but when the Vikings meet up with the Saxons, their are many scenes where the Saxons speak Old English and/or the Vikings speak Danish. And the TV show is hugely popular so the idea that it wouldn't appeal to a broader audience isn't true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWVyqMCCgeY
It's nice to see there are no well-known stars in it.
Matthew Macfadyen (Uhtred's father) is pretty well known - he's no A lister but he's been in Spooks, Pillars of the Earth, Pride and Prejudice (as Darcy), Ripper Street, Anna Karina, and many other things.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Wed October 14th, 2015, 3:24 pm

No, actually, I haven't. I started watching, but gave up. Didn't think it was going to last long. It wasn't clear in the beginning if it was going to be an on-going series. When I learned that it was, I didn't feel like going back to find the episodes online. I may now.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”