Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mercy Street: January 2016

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Mercy Street: January 2016

Postby princess garnet » Thu September 10th, 2015, 1:02 am

Come January 2016, the US broadcast of "Downton Abbey" won't be the only drama series on Sunday nights.

I came across this new historical drama, Mercy Street, coming to PBS in January 2016. It's set in Alexandria, VA during the Civil War. Of interest, the show's lead actress, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, played Mary Todd Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."

The 1st episode is slated for 10 pm, however, check your local PBS station listings. This show isn't part of the "Masterpiece" line-up/brand.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Re: Mercy Street

Postby princess garnet » Sun January 22nd, 2017, 5:42 pm

*Bump*
The 2nd season of "Mercy Street" starts tonight on PBS! In the new season, the story extends beyond the hospital in Alexandria to the battlefields. Please check your local TV listings.

The soundtrack from the 1st season can be downloaded from iTunes.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Re: Mercy Street: January 2016

Postby Margaret » Sun March 5th, 2017, 6:57 am

I'm enjoying Mercy Street, although the first few episodes bugged me because I felt they misrepresented black-white relations of the time, portraying white behavior toward blacks as far more respectful, in general, than it really was during the Civil War period. Although I suppose to make the show watchable at all, some degree of misrepresentation might be necessary. I like the way the relationship develops between Mary, the new head nurse, and Dr. Foster - there's enough complexity there to be interesting.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings and over 650 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”