Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poldark (US broadcast)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Re: Poldark (US broadcast)

Post by princess garnet » Sun June 19th, 2016, 8:17 pm

*Bumping up an older thread*

I came across an announcement for the 2nd season of "Poldark" coming this fall in the US. No set airing date yet!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 20th, 2016, 8:27 am

It's not meant to air in the UK until the autumn either :(
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon August 1st, 2016, 8:36 am

Finally got the air date for the start of the 2nd series in the UK - 4th September - bring it on! ;) :D

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon August 1st, 2016, 7:21 pm

Madeleine wrote:Finally got the air date for the start of the 2nd series in the UK - 4th September - bring it on! ;) :D
Nice! :D

We have our turn starting at 8 pm on Sunday, Sept. 25th in the US. (Please check your local PBS listings) It'll be a 2 hour season premiere and will be shown over 9 episodes. It looks like two episodes were combined for the start of the series.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 5th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Watched the first episode of Season Two last night and loved it! All very brooding. And Aidan Turner's chest makes an appearance not long after it starts! ;) :lol: It deviates a bit from the books but it's got the gist of it. Must be difficult to squeeze it all into ten episodes.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon September 5th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Yes I enjoyed it too, but the ending seems to have deviated from the book quite a bit, although it could be a cliffhanger.... :o

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 5th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Madeleine wrote:Yes I enjoyed it too, but the ending seems to have deviated from the book quite a bit, although it could be a cliffhanger.... :o
The Francis bit was in the book so, yes, it's a cliffhanger. The mine comes to mind. I'm being cryptic here!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue September 6th, 2016, 8:34 am

Yes I know what you mean Vanessa! ;)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri September 9th, 2016, 3:10 pm

I read these so long ago (before they started televising the original series), I can't really remember exactly how the books went. However, I do remember that the original series deviated from the books until new publications after the TV series had started began to resemble the TV series more. I am not watching the current version, having read the books and seen the TV version once round, I can't see the point of going through it again. However, I might catch up on it if I find I have to do a lot of ironing. My TV watching has changed since I have mostly given up ironing and don't have to have something long to watch to get me through the piles. But audiobooks tend to fill that sort of tedium when I absolutely can't avoid it, so I might never get to watch Poldark again.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 9th, 2016, 7:53 pm

They only filmed the first 7 books back in the 70s as they were the only ones that had been written. I have seen a few eps of the original and it looks a bit clunky and "stagey" now (I didn't watch it when it first shown , too young ;) so the new version is much glossier and with more locations rather thaan being set-bound. Apparently after the first 7 books, the author concentrated more on the children, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle that for TV, if they get that far, as there's a 10 year gap between books 7 and 8.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”