Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poldark (US broadcast)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Re: Poldark (US broadcast)

Postby SGM » Sun September 11th, 2016, 9:08 am

All old TV programmes seem clunky by modern comparison, even the ones that are considered classics. They just don't age as well as films - or the old films that are still worth watching anyway. It's just a fact of life. Given that Poldark is around 40 years old, it is hardly surprising. It's no reason to watch yet another version. I predict the current version will seem just as clunky in about 20 years time. As far as I recall, the last book published before the television version started was The Black Moon. The story of the children really started with The Stranger from the Sea although from the Black Moon onwards, characters are included from extended families.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Tue October 25th, 2016, 8:14 pm

We're at the half-way point with the series!

Here's an interview with American actor Kyle Soller who plays Francis Poldark.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed October 26th, 2016, 8:32 am

SGM wrote:All old TV programmes seem clunky by modern comparison, even the ones that are considered classics. They just don't age as well as films - or the old films that are still worth watching anyway. It's just a fact of life. Given that Poldark is around 40 years old, it is hardly surprising. It's no reason to watch yet another version. I predict the current version will seem just as clunky in about 20 years time. As far as I recall, the last book published before the television version started was The Black Moon. The story of the children really started with The Stranger from the Sea although from the Black Moon onwards, characters are included from extended families.

The original version went up to the 7th book (The Angry Tide) as that was as far as Winston Graham had written, and he left the saga alone for a while before picking up again with Stranger from the Sea, which as you say, focuses more on the next generation (and I think is set 10 years after the Angry Tide).
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

Postby Madeleine » Mon November 7th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Last one last night, sob :cry: but had a sneak preview of the next series. Thought it ended well although it was a bit sluggish at times. Will miss it on Sunday night though! ;)
Currently reading "The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell & The Travelling Bag by Susan Hill

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Mon November 28th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Thoughts on last night's finale? I'm glad things were cleared up between a few of the characters. I enjoyed the 2nd season overall.

Check out the video extras including a set tour with Eleanor Tomlinson. Note: videos may not play outside the US.

Finally, there was an "Inside Poldark" special hosted and narrated by Robin Ellis (the original Ross Poldark) on my Maryland PBS station. There was a general pledge pitch intermission in so I stopped watching when the 1st one came up. For viewers in DC, there was a different show. Anyone else see this Poldark special on their local PBS station?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Mon November 28th, 2016, 5:01 pm

We didn't have that here, so I'm not sure if it was just for the US market or is included on the DVD.

I enjoyed the series overall, although I think the middle bit dragged a little. We've now got some dreary drama set in Ireland during WW2, nothing wrong with that setting but it's so slow......

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue November 29th, 2016, 12:54 pm

I've seen the video extras on Facebook, Madeleine. If you join the various Poldark pages, you get tons of info on your timeline like this. I would imagine it will be on the DVD or Blueray edition, though, as 'Extras'.

I enjoyed the whole series. How the ending is done on the show isn't like the book, but the outcome is the same if that makes sense. And we all know whose child Elizabeth is carrying, don't we!?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Wed November 30th, 2016, 9:55 am

Oh yes no surprises about the child! Wait til you get to the end of book 7 though.... :o

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed November 30th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Oh, blimey! I'm intrigued now! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Wed April 5th, 2017, 9:25 am

New series starts in the UK sometime in June, apparently it's been brought forward so as not to clash with "Victoria" as it did last year when both were shown in the autumn.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”