Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

BBC's Musketeers

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

BBC's Musketeers

Post by Ludmilla » Sun October 12th, 2014, 1:17 am

Is anyone watching? I'm really enjoying season one so far. It's inspired by rather than totally faithful to the books, but I like most of the liberties they've taken so far, particularly with the backstory about Athos and Milady.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 12th, 2014, 12:28 pm

My husband and I watched the first season on BBC America over the summer. He has read all the Musketeer books and also felt the series was "inspired by" the books, but he did enjoy the series and the characters (so did I). I was watching the series with a royal history eye and I do have some issues with King Louis XIII and Queen Anne (especially in the last episode) and with some of the women's costumes (which I thought would be more appropriate in Game of Thrones rather than 17th century France).
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon October 13th, 2014, 5:20 pm

I watched the series over the summer and very much enjoyed it. How many times can you watch variations on the old material? I am thoroughly bored with milady, Buckingham, and the diamond studs. The new stories in the series were a welcome addition. I also agree with Susan about the women's costumes and hair styles which seemed a little off, but didn't take me out of the story.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon October 13th, 2014, 7:02 pm

I've come to expect creative license with costuming and so forth, but I'm no expert. The one that struck me as gratuitous (along the lines of something from the wardrobe for GoT or The Vikings) was Marie de Medici's little bedroom number with the funky straps (looked like something a dominatrix would wear).

I've really enjoyed Peter Capaldi as Cardinal Richelieu. Does anyone know if he'll be back in season two? I wondered since he's also been cast in Doctor Who.

Ryan Gage cracks me up as King Louis. Some of his facial expressions remind me of Mike Myers.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon October 13th, 2014, 7:36 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I've really enjoyed Peter Capaldi as Cardinal Richelieu. Does anyone know if he'll be back in season two? I wondered since he's also been cast in Doctor Who.[/quote]

Peter Capaldi will not be back for season two. If you want to know the details, you can read them here.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue October 14th, 2014, 12:05 am

There was a TV series titled "Young Blades" in 2005 featuring a new generation of the Musketeers. It didn't last long!
Last edited by princess garnet on Tue October 14th, 2014, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”