Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

William Marshal documentary

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Lost Manby Jane Harper & The Last Hours" by Minette Walters
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

William Marshal documentary

Post by Madeleine » Tue March 18th, 2014, 7:35 pm

The Marshal is getting his own show! Documentary on next Wednesday, 9.00 on BBC2.
Currently reading "The Last Hours" by Minette Walters & "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue March 18th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Thanks for mentioning that Madeleine, I will have to set a reminder...

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue March 18th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Any chance of it airing in the states?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu March 20th, 2014, 9:19 pm

The first five minutes are available on a clip. This was the programme where the researcher picked my brains for over an hour and then backed off when mention of putting my name on the credits was mooted. I've watched the first five minutes which is available for UK viewers. It's interesting but IMO could be a lot better. For starters Hampstead Marshal is not the proven site of Newbury Castle (I've been there and walked the same grounds as Dr. Asbridge), the anvils and hammers scene panders to modern mindset and William was the 4th child of John Marshal, not the second - you'd think they'd get that right at least. I've left a comment. Still, it'll be good for book sale sof The Greatest Knight - which I shall be shamelessly plugging!http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ctt4g ... am-marshal
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Lost Manby Jane Harper & The Last Hours" by Minette Walters
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 21st, 2014, 9:39 am

Wasn't William the second son from John's second marriage? Edited to say I've just read EC's comment to this effect on the RT website.

Just watched the clip and they don't paint a good picture of John, do they?!
Last edited by Madeleine on Fri March 21st, 2014, 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading "The Last Hours" by Minette Walters & "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri March 21st, 2014, 12:13 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Wasn't William the second son from John's second marriage? Edited to say I've just read EC's comment to this effect on the RT website.

Just watched the clip and they don't paint a good picture of John, do they?![/quote]

No, they don't. It's the usual not looking at what's under the surface and getting the right sort of soundbytes for their audience which invariably involves modern mindset and wilfully ignoring the facts in favour of the juicy superficial. Sigh.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”