Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Black Sails

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Black Sails

Post by wendy » Wed February 5th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Is anyone else disappointed with the new pirate saga BLACK SAILS?
It's written as a prequel to TREASURE ISLAND - which would be fine if they'd given it to Disney as a follow-up children's / young adult's drama.
Instead they fill it full of nudity, lesbianism, and f-bombs to make it appeal to an adult audience, though the basic plot remains a children's yarn. Very odd.

Then there's all these references about Port Royal in Jamaica. By the time this drama takes place (1715) Port Royal no longer existed as a pirate haven. It had been wiped out by an earthquake and tsunami in 1692, and although there were some attempts to rebuild, these were largely destroyed by a fire in 1703. What remained was then controlled by the British Crown and Royal Navy - a place of imprisonment and execution. Not likely many pirates would've gone willingly!

But most annoying is the 21st century makeup! The men are a bit more convincing than the women, but there are far too many shiny white teeth and makeup that looks like it was applied by the Kardashians. Women at that time wore a little rouge (especially if they were prostitutes) and red lips, maybe a bit of white face powder. But they didn't have liquid eyeliner or heavy eye makeup. And ALL eyebrows were natural.

I'd love to see a REAL portrayal of piracy on the small or big screen. They should have used the Deadwood / Hell On Wheels / Klondike teams to add the authenticity!
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu February 6th, 2014, 1:49 am

I watched the first episode and wasn't impressed. I'm giving it one more and then giving up. My bf's comment that they threw everything they could think of in the first episode to hook as wide a variety of people as possible seems accurate.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”