Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Death Comes to Pemberley", the TV series

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat November 8th, 2014, 12:58 am

[quote=""princess garnet""]*Bumping this up*
Did any fellow US forum members watch? It was shown in 2 parts, 1 1/2 hour each.

Here are video cast interviews and a slideshow to enjoy![/quote]

I stumbled across an episode one Sunday. I gave it a go cause it was historical, though not my time period. I didn't have my socks knocked off. In fact it was dull in most spots.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat November 8th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Last episode is the best one - it does drag a bit at first, same as the book did. Probably could have been done in two episodes.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat November 8th, 2014, 3:49 pm

This Yank and wife saw both episodes. We agreed that physically the male casting was not good. Wickam and the Colonel resembled each other too much, Darcy had no stature whereas Wickam did, and although we like the actress who played Elizabeth, she was miscast and her costumer should have been fired. Baby sister was maddening but appropriate though, her mother's daughter. The ghosts of Olivier and Firth still dominate.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... hael+Platt

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun November 9th, 2014, 1:47 pm

I liked Wickham ( he's going to be in Downton Abbey by the way) but Darcy did nothing for me at all. And a lot of people here remarked on how Elizabeth wore the same dress almost all the way through.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed November 12th, 2014, 4:48 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]Will the stream the episodes later? Don't have a cable box anymore.[/quote]

Check out your local PBS affiliate to see if they do streaming. Channel Thirteen in the NYC area will be replaying the first episode tonight and has the second episode streaming.

http://www.thirteen.org/programs/masterpiece/
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu November 27th, 2014, 3:52 pm

PD James has passed away :( :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30232569

Admittedly Death Comes to Pemberley is the only book of hers I've read, but she was a well-known name and one of my Granny's favourites in her time.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu November 27th, 2014, 8:38 pm

I didn't know that - been cooped up on a work event all day so haven't been following the news until now.

I've read some of her crime books and enjoyed them, more literary, thoughtful crime than the usual serial killer stuff. I have a couple still to read so will bump them up the pile.

Sad news, but a great age.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu January 29th, 2015, 3:29 am

Got the book and series from the library. Because libraries are great.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri January 30th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Finally finished the book so I could watch the show on DVR. This is one of those rare cases where I enjoyed the TV show/movie more than the book. The book drove me crazy with the constant repetition of the "facts" of the case by the various characters in multiple situations. I also guessed several plot points well ahead of time and hated the final chapters where the "mystery" was revealed (after the climax) by several people telling their stories. I understand what James was going for and I think she achieved her goal--it just didn't result in a book I found interesting.

I agree with a number of criticisms of the TV series, particularly in the male casting, but enjoyed it much more than the book. The writers of the series added humor and a mild subplot re Elizabeth and Darcy that enlivened the story. They also consolidated some characters which cluttered the book and were able to "show" the clues/stories rather than "tell" us.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”