Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones Season 3

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun June 9th, 2013, 3:00 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I totally agree with you about the books - you get so much more about the characters' personalities, emotions etc - as good as the TV series is, it does feel rushed at times, but Martin is excellent at showing the reader what's going on inside someone's head - I think he did this especially well with Jaime in book 3.

I think the last ep will have the
, I don't think they'll go as far as
I'm also dreading watching the rest of ep 9 :o - will do it later today.[/quote]

Yes, you're probably right....But I wonder what the cliff hangar ending will be? I think in Season 2 it was when Samwell saw the whitewalkers....What it will be tomorrow I don't know....

SPOILER

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 10th, 2013, 9:20 am

[quote=""rebecca""]I know the look on Ygritte's face, she was so hurt, but Jon is single minded and loyalty is a Stark trait. I also noted the look on Jorah's face when he returned from his battles and Dany asks about Daario....There is such great acting in these shows.[/quote]

Yep I'm enjoying the alpha males all competing for Dany's attention - poor old Jorah's had her all to himself up until now - and now he's got not one but two rivals! :)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon June 10th, 2013, 12:53 pm

[quote=""annis""]Apparently poor old George RR is being hounded and harrassed by irate fans who want him to write faster! Not the best way to encourage the creative process - he's not a machine designed for our reading pleasure, after all. Perhaps he has become a victim of his own success.[/quote]

There is a reason for this harrassment -It took him a long ten years after the end of book three to come up with book four. Both book 4 and 5 were big disappointments. Fans want to know how this is all going to end, and hope that Martin doesn't die before they do. Thats crass, but he isn't getting any younger.

Re Red Wedding - even tho I knew what was going to happen, the episode still upset me. It didn't hold a candle to the book version tho - there was so much else going in people's heads (esp Catelyn's) that it lost something in the translation on screen. Plus Robbs wife isn't even at the wedding, so that horrid scene was put there because HBO likes its violence.

Last nights episode was excellent - lots of loose ends tied up. But as a finale, it was wrong to end it with Dany's storyline. Most readers don't care for her character, and there needed to be something at the end that would have viewers talking about the show until next March. But despite that, the acting in this was excellent.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon June 10th, 2013, 1:02 pm

I think the build-up to the Red Wedding was done much better in the book - it was all bowling along and then gradually it dawned on me what was going to happen...although I did notice that the producers tried to put a little humour into it during the ceremony (I liked the bit when the Blackfish realised that Frey's daughters were eyeing him up, and he looked away embarrassed), and I also liked the way in which the last part of the episode concentrated solely on the wedding, rather than cutting between other storylines.

Haven't seen the last one yet.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue June 11th, 2013, 2:51 am

[quote=""Ash""]There is a reason for this harrassment -It took him a long ten years after the end of book three to come up with book four. Both book 4 and 5 were big disappointments. Fans want to know how this is all going to end, and hope that Martin doesn't die before they do. Thats crass, but he isn't getting any younger.

Re Red Wedding - even tho I knew what was going to happen, the episode still upset me. It didn't hold a candle to the book version tho - there was so much else going in people's heads (esp Catelyn's) that it lost something in the translation on screen. Plus Robbs wife isn't even at the wedding, so that horrid scene was put there because HBO likes its violence.

Last nights episode was excellent - lots of loose ends tied up. But as a finale, it was wrong to end it with Dany's storyline. Most readers don't care for her character, and there needed to be something at the end that would have viewers talking about the show until next March. But despite that, the acting in this was excellent.[/quote]

I admit I found Feast for Crows a hard read and enjoyed it more the second time around. But in all his books a good bit of editing would have improved it. When he first started this series A Song of Ice and Fire, it was meant to be a trilogy, it was GRRM himself how lengthened the story line by continually adding more and more characters and also not ending those who actually had been killed off. I found this quote from him:

“So I need to write faster. The last two books took a really long time, so I’m hoping this one [the Winds of Winter] will go a little faster. But I make no promises. I found out long ago that when you look at the overall task, the cathedral you have to build, it looks so daunting that you just give up and sit down and play a video game.”

I think this is half his trouble, I really do think he begins the task and then simply gets tired of it and starts playing games. It is in his power to end the books any time he wanted-But he keeps it going and going...He needs to stop and finish it.

As for the Finale to Season 3-It was kind of an anti-climax due to the traumatic Red Wedding episode...If it had been me I'd have saved the scenes where Dany, Daario, Jorah and Greyworm Conquer Yunkai as the ending...But it did end on a note of hope....Dany has her army, now she must be a Warrior Queen and lead them eventually to Westeros.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue June 11th, 2013, 3:32 am

Hey, I like Dany :) Not so sure about Daario, though - he's way too smooth to be trusted, even if he is a hunk.

And how about that Ygritte? Doesn't pay to p**s her off. Staunch!

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue June 11th, 2013, 3:46 am

[quote=""annis""]Hey, I like Dany :) Not so sure about Daario, though - he's way too smooth to be trusted, even if he is a hunk.

And how about that Ygritte? Doesn't pay to p**s her off. Staunch![/quote]

I also like Dany, but I don't like Daario, he's a fat head :p . I also felt sorry for Jorah once he saw Dany's face when Daario returned to her....but she is learning to lead and learning to be a Warrior Queen; this was something that Robb failed to do; he won battles, but lost the war, once he married that Jeyne girl, all was lost..... :( ...I think the difference between Robb and Dany is that she knows her limits and what she must learn and endure and her army both love and fear her. I wouldn't want to cross Dany, she is ruthless to those who betray her. Robb inspired loyalty and a sense of hope, but not fear...I am so going to miss him and Catelyn... :(

I felt so sorry for Ygritte in episode 9, but she is a wildling and it's dangerous to cross a wildling as Jon now knows.....

Also the producers have signed on for Season 4 in 2014, so much for all those rumours :rolleyes: lol

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue June 11th, 2013, 8:33 am

I actually find Ygritte a bit irritating! Dany too, although at least her storyline is finally picking up and going somewhere rather than just the endless meandering. She's certainly ruthless and seems to think ahead, which I think is what let Robb down - he had too narrow a view, didn't think of the "bigger picture", and didn't seem to learn from his mistakes - also a lot of the time his pride got in the way, and he didn't want to lose face.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue June 11th, 2013, 9:41 am

I read somewhere via Facebook that they're going to start filming series 4 in July and it's going to contain some of A Dance with Dragons as well as other books.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue June 11th, 2013, 5:20 pm

One thing I like about Dany's character is how she came from this scared little girl sold by her brother to a man twice her age, to a warrior queen. Problem is that in book three, her story gets so convulted that I stoppped liking her - Martin was turning her into a brainless teenager.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”